top navigation graphic
web accessibility working group graphic

 

Minutes from the November 15, 2001 meeting

Twenty people from twelve departments attended

Jim Powers began the meeting by discussing the usability conference he attended. A Kara Coyne of the Nielson Norman Group made several recommendations for designing Web sites for the blind and visually impaired based upon a study. Some examples of their recommendations are: use only necessary information on a Web page, placing less than 20 links on a page, and not relying just on the asterisk symbol to indicate a required field. Jim will make copies of the report for the group. He will also look into getting the researcher who conducted the study to make a presentation for the group.

Marge Pecht began the policy discussion at the Roles and Responsibilities - Agency Management section. It was decided a new bullet would be added stating that management must provide funding to obtain the necessary technologies to meet the objectives of the policy and to support the staff.

The group then moved on to the OIT section. The first bullet will either be used as part of an intro to the other bullets or will be dropped because it could be misinterpreted. A new bullet will be added requiring OIT to provide testing resources for agencies. This could be done by contracting with agencies working with the disabled community. Another bullet will state OIT will update old Web sites at a cost to the agency. The group debated if the language should say OIT can't refuse being hired or will assign personnel to perform the duties, but it was decided that may cause too many budgetary problems.

It was suggested the Webmasters and Web Developers section include Content Providers in the title. The third bullet will be revised to include the need to keep current with OIT Web standards. A bullet will be added about making use of OIT resources.

Some issues were raised about the second bullet in the Compliance section. The language of Section 508 might make it hard to understand, and if Section 508 changes, the policy will need to change as well. It was decided a new bullet would be added stating that if Section 508 is amended, the policy will meet the new requirements. It was also agreed each agency will self-monitor their compliance.

It was suggested the ADA (assistant district attorney) coordinators for each agency be made aware of the accessibility policy. Any complaints about Web site accessibility by users would be directed towards them.

Marge then began to discuss the seminar planning. She asked group members to find out how many people from their agencies might be interested in attending the seminar. The planning group wanted to get an idea how big the seminar needs to be. Group members should e-mail their estimates to Marge as soon as possible.

Marge presented an agenda for the seminar that the planning group came up with. There will be two parts to the seminar. Two hours would provide information for managers and will include information on the legal aspects, benefits, training, and budgets. Another 2-2 ½ hours will provide information for Web publishers and will include information on the W3C, designing, experience, resources, and a Q & A session.

It was suggested that instead of holding both sessions on the same day, they could be held on different days.

Anyone interested in working on the seminar planning committee should contact Marge.

The December meeting will be held one week earlier because of the holidays. Marge will contact the group with further information.

Agenda for the December meeting:
· Plan content for the seminar
· Finish policy

bottom navigation graphic
contact us privacy notice legal statement nj home my new jersey nj people nj business government info departments