What is the Self-Exclusion Program?

The program was established in 2001 to allow people with a gambling problem to voluntarily exclude themselves from gambling in all Atlantic City casinos. For more information, you can download a brochure on the program.

How do I get placed on the self-exclusion list?

You must submit an application in person to the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement at Tennessee Ave. and Boardwalk in Atlantic City, or  at 140 E. Front St. in Trenton. When you file the form, you will be required to provide identification and you will be photographed. Click for a copy of the self-exclusion application and for the instructions for completing the self-exclusion application.

Can I just mail back the completed application?

No. You must submit it in person. This is for your own protection.

Can I place a family member with a gambling problem on the list?

No. You cannot place anyone else on the self-exclusion list. Placement on the list is entirely voluntary and must be done by the individual seeking exclusion.

What will happen after I sign up for self-exclusion?

The commission will distribute a photograph and description of you to each casino. The casinos will then remove you from any mailing lists and make notations in their computer files that you are ineligible for any kind of credit or complimentary service.
Some casino companies have enacted responsible gaming programs by which they also might exclude you from their properties in other jurisdictions.

What will happen if I try to gamble in a casino while I am on the list?

After you are placed on the list, a casino may refuse to accept your wagers and may ask you to leave the gaming area. If you do gamble, you may be unable to collect winnings or recover any losses.

Suspension of Credit Privileges

If you are not ready to take the step of placing yourself on the self-exclusion list, but do not want to be permitted to gamble on credit, you may voluntarily suspend your credit privileges at all Atlantic City casinos by submitting a written request to the commission.

You can make such a request in person at the commission's offices or at any commission booth in a casino hotel. In addition, you can submit a request to suspend credit privileges in writing to the commission. You have to show some form of identification that either includes a photograph or a physical description.  Once the commission receives such a request, it will add your name to the credit suspension list and notify each of the casinos.