County Executive, Brian M. Hughes and the Mercer County Office of Economic Opportunity, which oversees the Latino Business Institute, maintain their goal of helping small business owners of Latino heritage to succeed in today's competitive environment.
"The Latino business community is an important cornerstone of economic growth and vitality here in Mercer County and we in County government look forward to seeing this community grow even more in the years to come." Brian M. Hughes, County Executive
The Institute conducts workshops throughout the year spanning all topics relative to small business start-up and expansion.
- Workshops are designed to provide tools and resources to individuals that are in business or thinking of starting a business.
- Workshops serve as training programs to help entrepreneurs learn the basics of creating a business plan, securing financial funding and support, and business operations.
- All workshops are conducted through bilingual instruction that encourages participants to engage in their native language in order to acquire and comprehend business concepts in English, to further develop business practice skills.
Start-up companies participating in the Latino Business Institute course workshop program must complete the following steps:
- Attend free informational workshop
- Attend at least 75% of the classes
- Complete the registration and assessment
- Complete all homework assignments
- Complete a business plan (business plan workshops consist of 8 workshops)
- Present business plan to panel of business professionals.
“Our goal is to achieve financial success for the Latino business community and to increase opportunities for new entrepreneurs.” Maggie Miranda, Director
Vanessa Nazario, Community Development Officer-PNC Bank: Instructor & Facilitator
Francis Burke, SBA: Advisor
Lorraine Allen-Executive Director SBDC-College of New Jersey: Advisor & Support Coordinator
Luisa Robinson, Executive Director-MECHA: Advisor
Harry Luna, Latino Chamber of Commerce: Business Advisor
Ken Seda, Independent Financial Consultant: Advisor
Juan Carlos Olmeda, JCO Creations: Instructor & Information Technology Support Specialist
NJ Small Business Development Center