MEDIA CONTACT: Julie Willmot
- County Executive Brian M. Hughes urged victims of the recent hurricane and flooding to be aware of possible scams and con artists who may attempt to carry out home improvement, charity, automotive and other storm related fraud. When disaster strikes, scam artists view this as another opportunity to profit from the victims.
Some disaster related tips to be aware:
- Contact Mercer County Division of Consumer Affairs at 609-989-6671 to ensure home improvement contractors you are considering hiring is REGISTERED AND INSURED.
- Home Improvement Contractors asking for large deposits.
- Make sure all contracts are in writing.
- Ask to see identification before you let anyone who claims to be from a utility company inspect your home.
- Beware of telephone solicitors offering consumer emergency grants that require financial and banking information.
- Do not give any personal information to any telephone solicitor (Banking, Credit Card, SS#).
- Fraudulent fundraising for disaster victims (Charitable organizations must register with the NJ State Division of Consumer Affairs).
- Make sure all Electricians and Plumbers are licensed.
As Mercer residents look toward repairing and rebuilding we urge than to contact the Mercer County Division of Consumer Affairs for information guidance and support at 609-989-6671.