TRENTON, N.J. - Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes reminds residents and businesses that the County’s One-Stop Career Center is a valuable resource for both job seekers and employers.
Located throughout the State, One-Stop Career Centers are staffed by qualified professionals from both State and County government who can help people obtain employment or get the training they need to meet the demands of the workforce. For employers, One-Stop offers services such as recruitment assistance and job-training reimbursement.
“The One-Stop Career Center is an important asset of County government that is utilized by tens of thousands of people each year,” said Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes. “Job seekers and employers who aren’t familiar with One-Stop should be aware of the wide range of job-related assistance that’s available to them.”
Mercer County’s One-Stop center at 26 Yard Ave. in Trenton assisted more than 71,000 people in 2012, offering services that include:
- Job search, resume writing and interviewing assistance, as well as other services for job seekers such as academic and skills assessment, career counseling and occupational training.
- A program that provides paid internships for youth completing occupational training programs.
- A Business Resource Center that helps employers recruit qualified workers and train employees at no cost.
- An On the Job Training program for small businesses that pays up to $4,000 of a new employee’s wages.
- Free postings of job openings on Jobs4Jersey.com.
Among current job openings for which Mercer County’s One-Stop Career Center is offering pre-screening, online application and testing sessions are several hundred 30- to 40-hour-a-week U.S. Postal Service jobs in Mercer County, including positions for city carrier assistants that pay $15 an hour. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the United States; live within local commuting distance of the 086 ZIP code area; be at least 21 years old; and have a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record. For more information, call (609) 989-6200.
One-Stop also has two upcoming job recruitment sessions:
- Security guard positions with Cambridge Security Services Corp., 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, May 14. Applicants must have a SORA license and their own transportation. Military background a plus. Call (609) 989-6200 to schedule an interview; no walk-ins.
- General services support staff positions with Petro Travel Center, 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, May 16. Petro is a local truck services plaza seeking to hire delicatessen workers, cashiers and porters for around-the-clock operations. Skills requested include customer service, cashier, food preparation, and cleaning retail space and restroom/shower facilities. Competitive pay. Call (609) 989-6200 to schedule an interview; no walk-ins.
For general information about Mercer County’s One-Stop Career Center, call (609) 989-6523.