Contact:Paula Sollami Covello
(609) 989-6998

As National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day approaches on December 7, 2007, Mercer County Clerk Paula Sollami Covello reminds all U.S. Military veterans residing in Mercer County that they can file their military discharge papers with the County Clerk's Office to be recorded for posterity.

"Because military papers can get damaged or lost, veterans should take advantage of the opportunity to file copies of their DD-214 discharge papers with the Clerk's Office, free of charge," said Clerk Sollami Covello, whose office maintains and preserves official documents and records for Mercer County. "If a copy is needed a veteran, an immediate family member or a legally recognized representative of their estate may obtain a copy with proper identification," added Sollami Covello.

A Certificate of Release - Discharge from Active Duty, or DD 214 Form for short, is generally issued when a service member is honorably discharged from active military duty. The document contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations

Veterans can bring their DD-214 discharge papers to the Mercer County Clerk's Office, located in the Old Courthouse at 209 South Broad Street in Trenton the hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. They can also be mailed to the Mercer County Clerk's Office for processing.

For further information on filing or to obtain military discharge papers call the Mercer County Clerk's office at 609-989-6464.