(a) The name of an eligible may be removed from an eligible list for any of the following reasons:
1. The causes for disqualification listed in N.J.A.C. 4A:4-6.1;
2. Regular appointment through certification to the title for which the list was promulgated or made appropriate, except that the appointment to a lower title will not be cause for removal;
3. Inability, unavailability or refusal of eligible to accept appointment. An eligible who has declined appointment may, upon written request, have his or her name withheld from future certifications until available for appointment. An appropriate representative of the Civil Service Commission must be notified when the eligible wishes to be considered for certification;
4. The eligible has a criminal record which adversely relates to the employment sought.
i. The following factors may be considered in determining whether a criminal record adversely relates to employment:
(1) The nature and seriousness of the crime;
(2) The circumstances under which the crime occurred;
(3) The date of the crime and age of the eligible when the crime was committed;
(4) Whether the crime was an isolated event; and
(5) Evidence of rehabilitation.
ii. The presentation of a pardon or an expungement shall prohibit removal from a list, except for law enforcement, correction officer, juvenile detention officer, firefighter or judiciary titles and other titles as the Chairperson of the Civil Service Commission or designee may determine.
5. Notice by the postal authorities that they are unable to locate or deliver mail to the eligible;
6. Non-compliance with the instructions listed on the notice of certification;
7. Discontinuance of an eligible's residence in the jurisdiction to which an examination was limited or for a title for which continuous residency is required;
8. Discontinuance of the eligible's employment in the unit scope to which a promotional examination was limited, except when the eligible has accepted a temporary or interim appointment in another unit scope. An employee who subsequently returns to the unit scope within current continuous service may request, in writing to an appropriate representative of the Civil Service Commission, that his or her name be restored to the promotional list;
9. Employees who are involuntarily transferred shall be retained on a promotional list until they have had an opportunity to take a promotional examination in the new promotional unit scope or have been appointed from the list;
10. Failure to maintain interest in a geographical area or choice; and
11. Other valid reasons as determined by the Chairperson of the Civil Service Commission or designee.
(b) An appointing authority that requests removal of an eligible's name from a list shall submit to an appropriate representative of the Civil Service Commission, no later than the date for disposition of the certification, all documents and arguments upon which it bases its request.
1. Upon request of the eligible or upon the eligible's appeal, the appointing authority shall provide the eligible with copies of all materials sent to the appropriate Commission representative.
2. If the appointing authority fails to provide either the appropriate Commission representative or the eligible with copies of materials, the request for removal may be denied.
(c) An appropriate representative of the Civil Service Commission shall determine if there are sufficient grounds for removal, notify the appointing authority and the eligible of its decision, and advise the eligible of his or her appeal rights.
(d) An eligible may appeal his or her removal from an eligible list utilizing the procedures in N.J.A.C. 4A:4-6.3.
(e) The removal of names from an eligible list will advance the rank order of all names below it. The Chairperson of the Civil Service Commission or designee may supplement a certification to provide the appointing authority with the number of names necessary for a complete certification.
(f) Acceptance or refusal of a temporary or interim appointment shall not be cause for removal from an eligible list.
(g) When the Civil Service Commission has accepted a single application for one or more title areas, pursuant to N.J.A.C. 4A:4-2.3(c), an eligible whose name has been removed from the pool of eligibles for one jurisdiction or title area for cause shall be removed from the pool of eligibles for any other jurisdiction or title area.
(h) When an eligible has received a regular appointment from a certification of a pool of eligibles, the eligible shall be removed from the pool of eligibles for that title area only.