(a) There shall be equal employment opportunity for all persons in, or applicants for, the career, unclassified, and senior executive services, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, sex/gender (including pregnancy), affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, religion, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or disability, except where a particular qualification is specifically permitted and is essential to successful job performance. See N.J.A.C. 4A:4-4.5 on bona fide occupational qualification.
(b) Equal employment opportunity includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, work environment, layoff, return from layoff, compensation, and fringe benefits. Equal employment opportunity further includes policies, procedures, and programs for recruitment, employment, training, promotion, and retention of minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. Equal employment opportunity but not affirmative action is required with respect to persons identified solely by their affectional or sexual orientation.
(c) Persons with disabilities shall include any person who has a physical disability, infirmity, malformation, or disfigurement which is caused by bodily injury, birth defect, or illness including epilepsy and other seizure disorders, and which shall include, but not be limited to, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical coordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a service or guide dog, wheelchair, or other remedial appliance or device, or any mental, psychological, or developmental disability resulting from anatomical, psychological, physiological, or neurological conditions which prevents the normal exercise of any bodily or mental functions or is demonstrable, medically or psychologically, by accepted clinical or laboratory diagnostic techniques. Disability shall also mean AIDS or HIV infection. See N.J.S.A. 10:5-5(q). See also N.J.A.C. 4A:4-2.14 for accommodation and waiver of examinations for persons with disabilities.
(d) The following race/ethnic categories shall be used by the Civil Service Commission:
- W: "White, not of Hispanic origin" means persons having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East;
- B: "Black, not of Hispanic origin" means persons having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa;
- H: "Hispanic" means persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race;
- I: "American Indian or Alaskan Native" means persons having origins in any of the original peoples of North America, and who maintain cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition; and
- A: "Asian or Pacific Islander" means persons having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, or Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example, China, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands, and Samoa.
(e) Sexual harassment is a form of prohibited gender discrimination that will not be tolerated.
(f) This chapter prohibits all forms of discriminatory conduct against any State employee by any other State employee or person doing business with the State. In addition, this chapter prohibits any form of discriminatory conduct by a State employee against a person doing business with the State. A "person doing business with the State" means an independent vendor performing services or supplying goods pursuant to a contract with the State.
(g) In local service, an appointing authority may establish policies and procedures for processing discrimination complaints.