(a) In State service, the layoff unit shall be a department or autonomous agency and include all programs administered by that department or agency. An autonomous agency is one which is in, but not under the supervision of, a principal department.
(b) In the Judiciary, the layoff unit shall be a vicinage or the Central Office and include all programs administered by that vicinage or Central Office.
(c) In local service, the layoff unit shall be a department in a county or municipality, an entire autonomous agency (see N.J.A.C. 4A:8-2.1(c)1i), or an entire school district. However, prior to the time set by N.J.A.C. 4A:8-1.4 for submission of information to the Civil Service Commission, a different layoff unit consisting of one or more departments may be approved by the Chair/CEO of the Civil Service Commission under the following procedures:
1. A request may be submitted by an appointing authority to the Chair/CEO or the matter may be initiated by the Chair/CEO.
2. Notice of the request shall be provided by the appointing authority to affected negotiations representatives upon submission to the Chair/CEO.
3. After receipt of the request, the Chair/CEO shall specify a period of time, which in no event shall be less than 20 days, during which affected employees and negotiations representatives may submit written comment and recommendations.
4. Thereafter, the Chair/CEO shall issue a determination approving, modifying or rejecting the proposed layoff unit, after considering:
i. The need for a unit larger than a department;
ii. The functional and organizational structure of the local jurisdiction;
iii. The number of employees, funding source and job titles in the proposed unit;
iv. The effect upon employee layoff rights; and
v. The impact upon service to departmental clientele and the public.
(d) In State service, the Chair/CEO shall determine job locations within each department or autonomous agency.
1. Each job location shall consist of a county.
2. The Chair/CEO shall assign a job location to every facility and office within a department or autonomous agency.
3. In the Judiciary, each vicinage, and the Central Office, shall be considered a separate job location.
4. See N.J.A.C. 4A:8-2.2 for exercise of lateral and demotional rights within job locations. See N.J.A.C. 4A:8-2.3 for exercise of special reemployment rights within job locations.
(e) In local service, the entire political subdivision is the job location and includes any facility operated by the political subdivision outside its geographic borders.