This vacancy is for Librarian in Youth Services.
The Librarian/Senior Librarian serves as part of the branch team in providing service to all customers, but may specialize in youth services, teen services, or information services. Under the direction of the Branch Manager, the Librarian/Senior Librarian plans, organizes, and evaluates programs in accordance with the Ocean County Library Mission, Goals, Standards, Diversity Plan, and Strategic Plan. This includes community outreach, participating in System-wide committees and initiatives, and attending staff or departmental meetings.
The Librarian/Senior Librarian provides Reference and Readers' Advisory services, speaks to groups and community organizations, and champions the Diversity Initiative for inclusive service to the public. The Librarian/Senior Librarian maintains a popular, inviting collection, deselects worn, out of date, or unused items, and communicates with System Selectors to meet local collection needs. In addition, the Librarian/Senior Librarian may provide database or other technology-related instruction to staff and public, singly or in groups.
The Librarian/Senior Librarian for youth services understands early childhood development, has a good rapport with children and caregivers, is familiar with classic and contemporary children's literature, and provides programs for children and parents from birth through elementary school. The Librarian/Senior Librarian provides outreach to students and teachers, gives book talks, and is able to generate excitement about reading and library services to customers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and techniques of librarianship
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing clearly, concisely, and informatively
- Ability to prepare informative statistical and narrative reports
- Ability to work harmoniously with peers, subordinates, and customers
- Ability to understand and follow Ocean County Library policies, procedures, and collective bargaining agreements
- Ability to meet or exceed Ocean County Library's Reference Competencies 1, 2, and 3
- Knowledge of current trends in librarianship and ability to keep current with available electronic resources
INTERESTED CANDIDATES IN STATE, COUNTY OR MUNICIPAL GOV'T SHOULD FORWARD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Jennifer Doderer, Training Coordinator
Ocean County Library
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753