Urban Enterprise Zone Program
Becoming a Certified UEZ Business
In order to participate in the UEZ Program, your business must be—
- Registered with the State of New Jersey
- Located within one of the 32 designated zones
- Be in tax compliance with the State of NJ
- Certified by the New Jersey UEZ program
All Certification Applications are entered online using the UEZ Business Certification System, accessible through NJ Premier Business Services. Refer to the step-by-step instructions for assistance.
Helpful information is available on the UEZ Forms & Instructions web page.
Benefits to Businesses
Reduced Sales Tax – currently 3.5%
Tax Free Purchases on certain items such as capital equipment, facility expansions, and upgrades
Financial Assistance from agencies such as NJEDA
Subsidized unemployment insurance costs for employees who earn less than $4,500 per quarter
Energy Sales Tax Exemption for qualified manufacturing firms with at least 250 employees, 50% of whom are working in manufacturing
Tax Credit Options (owners may elect one of the following)
- Up to $1,500 for new permanent full-time employees hired
- Up to 8% Corporate Business Tax credit on qualified investments.
- Create/access your NJ Premier Business Services (PBS) account (step-by-step instructions).
- Add your business to your PBS account.
- Click on the Urban Enterprise Zone link under Select a Service Center in PBS.
- Complete and submit the UEZ Certification Application.
Instructions, procedures, and additional assistance are available throughout the application screens.