Agency Mission Statement and About the Executive Director
The New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA) provides funding for affordable home ownership and housing opportunities for New Jersey residents.
HMFA responds to the needs of its residents by implementing creative programs and establishing alliances that:
- fund affordable home mortgages for first-time home buyers;
- promote construction and rehabilitation of rental housing;
- encourage mixed-income, owner-occupied housing growth as a means to stabilize urban neighborhoods;
- advance the growth and development of municipalities;
- contribute to the quality of life of older adults, the disabled and those with special housing needs; and
- formulate partnerships to foster the economic development of New Jersey and the personal development of its residents.
HMFA raises program funds by:
- selling taxable and tax-exempt bonds to private sector investors in national financial markets;
- applying for and administering federal and state grants and housing assistance programs; and
- fostering cooperative relationships with state, municipal, not-for-profit agencies and foundations.
HMFA does not rely on any direct funding from the State Treasury to meet its core operating or administrative expenses. HMFA does rely on progressive federal and state housing legislation to contribute to the vitality of the state's economy and the quality of life of its residents.
About the Executive Director
Anthony L. Marchetta became the Executive Director of The New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency on September 1, 2010. Mr. Marchetta has over 35 years of experience in the public and private sector. Most recently, he was Vice President of LCOR Inc., where he developed multifamily and mixed use projects within the Mid-Atlantic region.
As an executive at LCOR, he managed the development of Gaslight Commons, a 200-unit luxury rental project in the "Transit Village" of South Orange, NJ. This project won the first New Jersey Future "Smart Growth" award in 2002. Mr. Marchetta has also worked for Matrix Development Group and Baker Residential Inc. where he managed teams of attorneys, engineers, architects, environmentalists, and planners seeking approvals for both residential and commercial developments.
He has 13 years of public sector service, including 10 years serving as Executive Director of the Middlesex County Department of Housing and Community Development. Governor Whitman appointed Mr. Marchetta to serve on the New Jersey State Planning Commission in 1998. Some of his many affiliations include the Regional Plan Association (RPA), The Urban Land Institute, and The National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP). He is a graduate of Rutgers University, and also holds a Master of City and Regional Planning and a Master of Business Administration from Rutgers University.
To download a high-resolution image of Mr. Marchetta, simply click on the image above and the full-size version (4.3MB JPG) will open in a new window. Right-click to save the image to your computer's hard drive.