About Foreclosure — First Steps

About Foreclosure — First Steps

If you are in Foreclosure:

If you are not in Foreclosure:

  • If you have missed a payment or payments or feel that you will soon miss a payment because your mortgage is no longer affordable to you, you should call your mortgage servicer. The number should be on your monthly mortgage bill or coupon book.

  • You may also contact a housing counseling agency in the county in which you live. See pages 3 and 4 of the Foreclosure Fast Facts (1.7MB PDF) (Spanish version) (2.2MB PDF) sheet for a list of counseling agencies. The counseling agencies listed here are non-profit, HUD certified and trained in foreclosure prevention.

  • Call Today, Do Not Delay! The sooner you call the more options you will have.

Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams - Help is FREE!

  • There is never a fee to get assistance to work out your mortgage or to get information about the programs listed here from your lender or a HUD certified housing counselor.

  • Beware of any person or organization that asks you to pay a fee in exchange for housing counseling services or modification of a delinquent loan. Do not pay – walk away!

  • Beware of anyone who says they can “save” your home if you sign or transfer over the deed to your house. Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage company to forgive your debt.

  • Never submit your mortgage payments to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval.

  • If in doubt – do not pay and walk away.

If You Feel You Have Been the Victim of Mortgage-Related Fraud

The Attorney General urges any member of the public who has been a victim of mortgage-related fraud to report it by calling the Division of Consumer Affairs’ toll-free hotline at 1-800-242-5846. Consumers from out of state can call 973-504-6200. Those seeking to file a complaint can also visit the Division’s website at www.njconsumeraffairs.gov.

If you feel you have been taken advantage of or misled by a lender, call Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ) at 1-888-576-5529 or visit their website at http://www.lsnj.org. Legal Services of NJ provides legal representation to low-income New Jersey homeowners.

Homeowners regardless of income level may file a complaint with the NJ Department of Banking and Insurance by calling 1-800-446-7467.