The People We Serve
The New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA) provides funding for affordable home ownership and housing opportunities for New Jersey residents.
HMFA responds to the needs of its residents by implementing creative programs and establishing alliances that:
- Fund affordable home mortgages for first-time homebuyers;
- Promote construction and rehabilitation of rental housing;
- Encourage mixed-income, owner-occupied housing growth as a means to stabilize urban neighborhoods;
- Advance the growth and development of municipalities;
- Contribute to the quality of life of older adults, the disabled and those with special housing needs; and
- Formulate partnerships to foster the economic development of New Jersey and the personal development of its residents.
HMFA raises program funds by:
- Selling taxable and tax-exempt bonds to private sector investors in national financial markets;
- Applying for and administering federal and state grants and housing assistance programs, and;
- Fostering cooperative relationships with state, municipal, not-for-profit agencies and foundations.
HMFA does not rely on any direct funding from the State Treasury to meet its core operating or administrative expenses. HMFA does rely on progressive federal and state housing legislation to contribute to the vitality of the state's economy and the quality of life of its residents.
For more information, please visit our website at http:///www.njhousing.gov