This 1876 Second Empire style railroad station is one of a surviving pair of stations along the former Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad. Similarly designed stations-sporting elegant mansard roofs and decorative gingerbread woodwork-once punctuated New Jersey's burgeoning railroad suburbs between the 1870s and 1930s. The Hopewell Railroad Station is a visible landmark in a park-like setting several blocks from the central business district of this historic village.
The Trust grant helped fund restoration of the station's exterior, including such details as decorative cresting and balconies, restoration and rehabilitation of the interior, and accessibility improvements. The three-story station now houses a community center on the ground floor and offices on the upper levels.
For more information, visit: