$11.3 Million in Historic Grants
For more information, contact:
Gail Greenberg (856) 235-2451
or Catherine Goulet (609) 984-0473
TRENTON (May 07, 2003): The Board of the New Jersey Historic Trust approved a list of recommended awards to preserve 60 historic sites with funding from the Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund. More than $11.3 million in matching grants will fund historic preservation planning and capital preservation projects at a variety of sites in 16 counties throughout the state.
The Historic Trust voted to approve the recommended grants at a public meeting of the Board of Trustees at the War Memorial in Trenton. The Garden State Preservation Trust and the New Jersey State Legislature must still approve all of the projects selected for funding before grant monies can be released.
This is the third round of funding under the current matching grant program, which was established by a voter-approved ballot initiative to preserve open space, farmland and historic sites. A total of $60 million for historic preservation funding from state tax revenues is guaranteed until 2009. A total of $13.3 million in grants was awarded in two previous grant rounds. The Trust received 103 applications requesting nearly $21.8 million in the most recent round of grants.
The Garden State money provides for two categories of matching grants. Historic Site Management grants help fund building conditions assessments, construction documents, and plans that address repair and preservation, accessibility, landscaping, and care of historic properties. Capital preservation grants are awarded at two levels and help fund the restoration, preservation, repair and rehabilitation of historic sites for use by nonprofit organizations or units of county and municipal governments. Applicant properties must be listed, or eligible for listing, in the State or National Register of Historic Places.
Created by the State Legislature, the New Jersey Historic Trust is a non-profit historic preservation organization affiliated with the Department of Community Affairs. Governed by a 15-member board of trustees representing private citizens and state agencies, the Trust promotes the preservation of New Jersey’s historic resources by encouraging cooperative efforts between public and private entities. For more information about the New Jersey Historic Trust and its programs, call (609) 984-0473 or visit: www.njht.org.
Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
2002 Grant Round
Recommended Awards, as presented to NJ Historic Trust, Board of Trustees, April 30, 2003
Historic Site Management Grants, listed by county
- Bergen County, Edgewater Municipal Building, Edgewater, $50,000 to the borough for the preparation of a preservation master plan, National Historic Register nomination and feasibility study for future use of this 1905 landmark for library, cultural or community activities.
- Burlington County, Mount Holly Mill Race Way, Mount Holly, $29,250 to the township for a preservation plan and archaeological investigation of the 18th century industrial mill race.
- Burlington County, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Beverly, $43,375 to the church for the preparation of a preservation plan for this 1850s Gothic Revival-style complex in a historic riverfront community.
- Burlington County, Whitesbog Farm, Pemberton Township, $13,968 to the Whitesbog Preservation Trust for a cultural landscape plan to document resources within this 2,000-acre state historic site.
- Burlington County, Arney’s Mount Meeting House, Mount Holly, $7,312 to the Mt. Holly Meeting/Society of Friends for the preparation of a preservation plan for this rural Quaker meeting house.
- Camden County, Collings-Knight House, Borough of Collingswood, $10,500 to the Friends of the Collings-Knight House for a preservation plan that will address increased accessibility to this Federal-period frame farmhouse.
- Cape May County, Hangar No. 1, Cape May County Airport, Lower Township, $33,917 to the Naval Air Station Wildwood Foundation for the preparation of a preservation plan for this aviation museum that hosts community events.
- Cumberland County, Old Broad Street Presbyterian Church, Bridgeton, $47,632 to First Presbyterian Church for the preparation of a historic structure report, structural assessment and construction drawings for structural stabilization of this 1792 Georgian-style church, the first house of worship in Bridgeton.
- Essex County, Glen Ridge Municipal Building, Glen Ridge, $29,265 to the borough for a building assessment of the 1931 Renaissance Revival style structure that houses multiple community services.
- Hudson County, Grace Church Van Vorst, Jersey City, $23,625 to the church for the preparation of a preservation plan and conceptual design for barrier-free access to this 1850 landmark.
- Hunterdon County, Centenary United Methodist Church, Lambertville, $10,759 to the church for a detailed roof conditions analysis for this 1865 church that hosts a popular concert series.
- Mercer County, Trenton Masonic Temple, Trenton, $50,000 to the Masonic Temple Association for the preparation of a preservation plan for this 1920s lodge building, also used for public meetings.
- Middlesex County, Barron Arts Center, Township of Woodbridge, $9,000 to the township for conditions analysis and preservation recommendations for the stained glass windows in the 1877 former library, now a regional arts center.
- Middlesex County, Metlar/Knapp/Bodine House, Piscataway Township, $39,641 to the township for the preparation of a preservation plan for the oldest section of the house and design services for increased accessibility to this former residence that reflects three centuries of building construction.
- Monmouth County, Allen House, Shrewsbury, $38,805 to the Monmouth County Historical Association for the re-evaluation of the building’s period of significance and interpretation as a historic house museum.
- Monmouth County, Christ Episcopal Church, Middletown, $46,500 to the church for construction drawings for the stabilization of the bell tower, foundation and floor supports in the c. 1836 church.
- Morris County, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Boonton, $30,615 to the church for the preparation of a master preservation plan for this complex of three buildings, the centerpiece of which is a charming rural Gothic Church designed by Richard Upjohn.
- Passaic County, Dey Mansion, Township of Wayne, $36,000 to the county for the preparation of a cultural landscape plan for the mansion’s Colonial Revival era garden, which was designed by the Olmstead Brothers in 1934.
- Salem County, Mt. Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church, Salem, $10,875 to the church for the preparation of a preservation plan that will address future community use and accessibility to this c. 1871 historic house of worship.
- Somerset County, Abraham Staats House, Borough of South Bound Brook, $5,250 to the South Bound Brook Historical Commission for a landscape preservation plan for the three-acre site that surrounds this 1700s-era historic house.
- Somerset County, James Van Zandt House, Montgomery, $13,703 to the Friends of Homeless Animals of Trenton-Mercer for a conditions assessment report for this Italianate-style villa that will be used as non-profit office space.
- Somerset County, Jacobus Vanderveer House, Bedminster, $16,590 to the Friends of the Vanderveer House for an archeological investigation of the missing 18th century kitchen wing to this farm house.
- Sussex County, Crescent Theater, Sussex Borough, $27,375 to Tri-State Actors Theater for the preparation of a preservation plan and National Historic Register nomination for this historic theater and regional performance center.
- Sussex County, Relief Hose Company No. 2 Engine House, Raritan Borough, $47,431 to the borough for a preservation plan, National Historic Register nomination and construction documents for this High Victorian Gothic-style landmark’s interior rehabilitation.
- Union County, Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, Plainfield, $20,000 to this 1930s era church for a study of its unusual cast stone exterior and recommendations for its preservation.
Capital Preservation Grants, Level I, listed by county
- Bergen County, The Hermitage, Ho-Ho-Kus, $15,174 to the Friends of the Hermitage for production of a video for physically or hearing impaired visitors to this Gothic Revival-style house museum.
- Bergen County, Ramapo Reformed Church, Mahwah, $46,980 to the church for preparation of a preservation plan and structural stabilization of the cupola and tower for this Federal-era church.
- Bergen County, Westervelt-Lydecker House/Driscoll Residence, Woodcliff Lake Borough, $50,000 to the borough for landscape design and interpretation of archaeological features.
- Burlington County, Bishop-Irick Farmstead/Drowsey Tree Farm, Southampton, $23,655 to the Pinelands Preservation Alliance for repairs and access for use as nonprofit office space.
- Monmouth County, Anthony Reckless Estate, Red Bank, $35,549 to the Women’s Club of Red Bank for ongoing restoration and rehabilitation and construction of an accessible side entrance for this Italianate-style former residence, home to the women’s club since 1921.
- Morris County, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Dover, $32,193 to the church for the exterior restoration of the 1891 Richard Upjohn-designed church that is also used for community meetings and activities.
- Sussex County, Crescent Theater, Borough of Sussex, $16,320 to the Tri-State Actors Theatre for structural repairs to the former theater, now a regional arts venue.
Capital Preservation Grants, Level II, listed by county
- Bergen County, Demarest Railroad Station, Borough of Demarest, $176,406 to the borough for the restoration of the roofs, dormers and ornamental work on this 1872 former train station that now hosts community meetings and events.
- Bergen County, Wyckoff Reformed Church, Wyckoff, $114,991 to the church for structural repairs to the floor and bell tower on this 1806 Federal-style church that is used for community activities.
- Bergen County, The Castle at Felician College, Rutherford, $750,000 to the college for repair and restoration of roofs, water conduction systems, masonry and removal of non-historic fabric in preparation for use by the county historical society and for college functions.
- Burlington County, Paulsdale, Mount Laurel, $199,361 to the Alice Paul Centennial Foundation for exterior restoration that will include porch reconstruction for this historic and educational facility.
- Burlington County, Smithville Park, Eastampton, $750,000 to the county for the restoration of five structures in the historic agricultural and industrial site within a 200-acre county park and greenway.
- Camden County, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Camden, $233,000 to the Diocese of Camden, for the exterior repair and restoration of this inner-city Gothic Revival style landmark.
- Camden County, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Camden, $454,355 to the Diocese of Camden for exterior repairs to the 1919 Polish ethnic church to prevent further deterioration of interior finishes.
- Camden County, Tomlinson House, Borough of Pine Hill, $102,282 to the borough for structural repairs and roof replacement for this 1834 brick farmhouse, which will become a historic museum.
- Cumberland County, Bivalve Packing Houses and Docks, Commercial Township, $600,000 to the Delaware Bay Project for the restoration of early-20th century oyster shipping sheds and wharves.
- Essex County, Ahavas Sholom, Newark, $103,128 to the congregation for exterior restoration and addition of a barrier-free entrance to this last active synagogue in Newark, built in 1923.
- Essex County, South Orange Fire Station, South Orange Village, $440,675 to the township for exterior restoration of this active fire house, built in 1925.
- Essex County, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Newark, $224,227 to the cemetery for the stabilization and repair of Victorian Gothic-style brownstone buildings.
- Essex County, Old Stone House, South Orange, $154,943 to the South Orange Historical and Preservation Society for the stabilization of this abandoned structure that has archaeological interest.
- Hudson County, Hudson County Courthouse, Jersey City, $750,000 to the county for the restoration, replacement and replication of historic light fixtures in this Beaux Arts-style landmark.
- Hunterdon County, Hunterdon County Courthouse, Flemington, $750,000 to the county for the restoration of the courthouse interior to its 1935 appearance, and barrier-free access construction.
- Mercer County, Sacred Heart Church, Trenton, $282,953 to the church for the stabilization and restoration of the distinctive bell towers, exterior repairs and construction of a barrier-free entrance.
- Middlesex County, Christ Episcopal Church, New Brunswick, $416,391 to the church for exterior restoration of the 1874 parish house, which houses social services.
- Middlesex County, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, Perth Amboy, $260,805 for the second phase of exterior restoration that will include attention to the masonry, roof, window and cast-iron fence.
- Middlesex County, Metlar/Knapp/Bodine House, Township of Piscataway, $157,383 to the township for exterior rehabilitation, restoration, and painting in appropriate colors determined by analysis.
- Monmouth County, Clarksburg School, Township of Millstone, $399,647 to the township for exterior restoration and interior rehabilitation of this vernacular schoolhouse for municipal office use.
- Monmouth County, Seabrook Wilson House, Middletown, $574,378 to the county for exterior restoration and interior rehabilitation of this early 18th century Raritan Bayshore landmark.
- Morris County, Craftsman Farms, Parsippany-Troy Hills, $299,763 to the Stickley Museum for repair and stabilization of deteriorated wood elements and preservation of interior finishes in this 1908 log house, a museum of the America’s Arts and Crafts Movement.
- Morris County, Gardens at Bamboo Brook, Chester, $750,000 to the county for the restoration of gardens formerly associated with a private mansion and now a public park to their c.1944 appearance.
- Morris County, The Phoenix House, Borough of Mendham, $280,468 to the borough for preservation, improvements and creation of barrier-free access for this former inn, now used for municipal offices.
- Passaic County, Schuyler-Colfax House Museum, Township of Wayne, $184,170 to the township for the preservation of this Dutch Colonial home that was occupied by one local family for 300 years.
- Somerset County, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Somerville, $750,000 to the church for structural, masonry and roof repairs and restoration to this early Horace Trumbauer church.
- Somerset, Somerville Fire Museum, Somerville, $186,872 to Somerville for exterior repair and restoration of this 1888 firehouse, including the reconstruction of decorative features that will enhance public appreciation of this fire museum.
- Union County, Dr. William Robinson Plantation, Union, $70,941 to the Clark Historical Society for structural stabilization and electrical improvements to this structure that will reopen as a museum.