Eligible Municipalities and Projects
MUNICIPAL ELIGIBILITYTo be eligible for DCA Local Planning Services, a municipality must be able to demonstrate a financial need and a professional planning need. Services may be extended to municipalities that have:
- Urban Aid;
- Transitional Aid;
- An Urban Enterprise Zone;
- NJRA Financing qualifications or
- Temporary fiscal challenges due to unexpected circumstances.
Professional planning need will be determined if the municipality does not have in-house planning capabilities to perform the planning service requested and/or is it not under contract or negotiating with professional planning consultant(s) to complete the identified or similar planning service/project.
PROJECT ELIGIBILITYProposed planning service/project must meet one or more of the following goals, consistent with the New Jersey State Strategic Plan as follows:
Targeted Economic Growth where the proposed planning service/project:
- Directly or indirectly supports the attraction of new investment in the municipality; AND/OR
- Directly or indirectly supports the creation of jobs in the municipality.
Effective Planning for Vibrant Regions where the proposed planning service/project:
- Promotes sustainability;
- Is consistent with county and regional goals;
- Promotes and enhances existing infrastructure; AND/OR
- Promotes safe and efficient transportation and public transit options.
Preservation and Enhancement of Critical State Resources such that the proposed planning service/project:
- Promotes the protection and enhancement of natural, historic, agricultural, scenic, and recreational resources; AND/OR
- Coordinates plans related to transportation, energy, and the environment with land use and economic initiatives.
Tactical Alignment of Government that will result when the proposed planning service/project:
- Reduces the cost of government operations;
- Supports shared services or municipal consolidation; AND/OR
- Promotes a positive municipal fiscal impact.
In all cases, the proposed planning service/project must be feasible and achievable. Services to be provided are intended to be a one-time endeavor with a definitive end date and definable final product.