background shadows

How do I contact the Kinship Navigator Program?

To find out more about Kinship Navigator services, call 2-1-1 toll free.  You will talk to a 2-1-1 staff person who will help you if you have an immediate need and will then refer you to your local Kinship agency.

Top ^
I am already receiving Kinship services and need the phone number of my local agency. Can you help?

Kinship Agencies 

  • CarePlus, NJ — (201) 797-2660 or (201) 398-9110, serving Bergen, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, and Warren Counties
  • The Salvation Army — (973) 623-8471 or 973 623-8472, serving Essex County
  • Children’s Home Society — (609) 695-6274, serving Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Somerset, Hunterdon, and Union Counties.
  • Family Service Association — 1-877-569-0350, serving Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties
Top ^
How long will it take to apply?

The application takes about 20 minutes over the phone.  After you complete the application, the Kinship agency will contact you to set up a home visit.  Every year. You’ll need to call your Kinship agency to reapply.

Top ^
What types of services can we receive?

Services available through the Kinship Navigator Program include (but are not limited to) help with the following:

  • payment for clothing for the child
  • referrals to grandparenting and family support groups
  • getting medical coverage and services
  • housing
  • payment for furniture (for example, a bed, dresser, book shelves)
  • payment for tutoring services and extra curricular activities for the child
  • payment for summer camp for the child
  • payment for graduation expenses for the child


Top ^
For how long am I eligible for Kinship services?

As long as the child(ren) remain in your care and is/are under age 18, or 21 and disabled.

Top ^
Does the child have to live with me?

Yes, the child must be living with you.

Top ^
Must I be related to the child?

No. You may be a neighbor or someone with a close emotional relationship to the child. However, if you are not related, you must obtain Kinship legal guardianship to access Kinship services, as well as a variety of other government assistance programs.

Top ^
What is Kinship Legal Guardianship?

It is a legal status that gives the caregiver the authority to make decisions concerning the child's welfare.

Top ^
Can I get any other benefits from Legal Guardianship?

Yes, you may be eligible for a subsidy. Call your Kinship Agency for more informationand other community services.

Top ^