Office of Sustainability
Statewide Sustainability Programs NJDEP Supports
NJDEP has partnered with a number of programs that help communities, schools, and businesses in NJ become more sustainable.
SUSTAINABLE JERSEY ™ is a certification program for municipalities in New Jersey that want to go green, save money, and take steps to sustain their quality of life over the long term.
- Identifies concrete actions that municipalities can implement to become "certified" and be considered leaders on the path to a sustainable community.
- Provides clear "how to" guidance and tools to enable communities to make progress on each action
- Provides access to grants, and identifies existing and new funding opportunities for municipalities to make progress toward the actions
- Encompasses the 3 equal, interrelated components of sustainability:
- Prosperity-support your local economy and use community resources
- Planet-practice responsible environmental management and conservation
- People-embrace social equity and fairness
More information at: www.sustainablejersey.com
Sustainable Jersey for Schools is a certification program for New Jersey public schools that want to go green, conserve resources and take steps to create a brighter future, one school at a time. This program was launched in the fall of 2014.
More Information at: http://www.sustainablejerseyschools.com/
The NJ Sustainable Business Registry was created in 2014 to implement and support the SBI goals. With technical assistance from the NJDEP, the NJ Small Business Development Centers applied for and was awarded a grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to fund the Registry and to develop sustainability consulting services. The Registry provides resources to small and mid-sized business interested in becoming sustainable.