How to Obtain the Air Quality Forecast in New Jersey
Identify the Air Quality Forecast to determine if Emergency
Generator can or can not be used for normal testing/maintenance on a specific day.
IMPORTANT NOTE: EMERGENCY GENERATORS CAN BE USED
WHENEVER NEEDED FOR TRUE EMERGENCIES, REGARDLESS
OF THE AIR QUALITY. The procedures below apply only to
normal testing and maintenance usage. They do not
apply to emergency usage. In order for an event to be classified as an actual emergency (see definition of “emergency generator” at N.J.A.C. 7:27-19.1), there must be a voltage reduction issued by
PJM and posted on the PJM internet website (www.pjm.com) under the “emergency
Emergency Generators might not be allowed to operate
for normal testing/maintenance on a certain day, depending
on New Jersey's Air Quality for that day, in accordance
with the Department's rules at N.J.A.C. 7:27-19.2(d).
New Jersey's Air Quality is based on the National Air
Quality Index System, which looks at 5 major pollutant
levels currently in the air, compares those pollutant
levels to established health standards, and then gives
the air a current rating (or grade), such as "good"
or "unhealthy." The prohibition from testing/maintaining
Emergency Generators on certain days is designed to:
- ensure that NJ's air quality does not get worse on
those days with unhealthful air, and
- help protect the public health from the harmful effects
of unhealthy air.
Check the air quality forecast the day before the tentative Emergency Generator normal
testing/maintenance date using the following procedure:
- After 4:00 pm on the day before the emergency generator will be used for normal
testing/maintenance, go to:
- Read the "Forecast" column for tomorrow's date.
- If this column lists the air quality anywhere in NJ as Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups , Unhealthy, Very Unhealthy, or Hazardous, then you CAN NOT do the testing/maintenance tomorrow.
- Reschedule your testing/maintenance for another day.
- Remember to re-check the Air Quality Forecast after 4:00 pm on the day before the
day that the Emergency Generator has been rescheduled to be operated for normal