The Barnegat Bay Blitz Rain Barrel Challenge
The Barnegat Bay Blitz Rain Barrel Challenge is a competition that engages schools and youth groups located in the Barnegat Bay watershed to learn about the bay and how people can help protect its water quality and natural resources. The students investigate the theme of the Challenge then work together to design rain barrels that address the theme.
The theme for the Challenge this year was Celebrate Barnegat Bay's plentiful resources! Schools and groups were asked to select their barrel design from the following options:
1) The Bay offers harvestable food sources - Such as clamming, crabbing, fishing, etc.; or
2) The Bay offers recreational resources - Such as sailing, boating, kayaking, swimming, etc.; or
3) The combination of 1 and 2.
Congratulations to the 2014 Winner of the
Barnegat Bay Blitz Rain Barrel Challenge!
North Dover Elementary School
Toms River, New Jersey
North Dover Elementary School has won an educational Barnegat Bay Festival that will be held at their school sometime later this year.
In addition, all of the schools and groups that participated in the Rain Barrel Challenge will be invited to and honored at the New Jersey Clean Communities Kids Day event which will be held in late May.
Many of the barrels will also be showcased at public venues throughout the watershed when they go on tour this summer to be seen by residents, summer tourists and daily visitors.
Resources for Barnegat Bay Blitz Rain Barrel Challenge:
- This year, 35 barrels competed in the challenge. To view the other barrels click HERE.
- If you would like to showcase one of the barrels at your business or public venue, please contact the Blitz coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the invitation to businesses to host a rain barrel click HERE. (PDF)
For a detailed flyer about the Rain Barrel Challenge click HERE. (PDF)
To view photographs of the 2013 rain barrel designs, click HERE.
To view photographs from last year's Barnegat Bay Festival Days click HERE.
To learn more about water conservation click HERE.
To learn more about rain barrels click HERE.
To build your own miniature Rain Barrel Demo model see instructions HERE.