Wildlife Habitat Management
Habitat is the key to wildlife's survival, whether in the rain forests of South America or here in New Jersey. Quality habitat provides appropriate and sufficient food, water, shelter (or cover) and sufficient space for wildlife species.
The Division of Fish and Wildlife bureaus of Wildlife Management and Land Management, along with the Endangered and Nongame Species Program, work together to protect and enhance wildlife habitat on state lands. Projects such as mowing, plantings, tree harvests and other activities on state Wildlife Management Areas manipulate and enhance habitat to favor various species, often ones which are in decline (such as bobwhite quail).
The Division also often works with many partners to protect and improve habitat, whether on state lands or properties in private ownership. Several programs are available for financial and/or technical assistance to private landowners who want to improve habitat on their properties.
The pages and websites linked below lead to information related to habitat and its management:
- Habitat Work to Continue At Sparta Mt. WMA - 3/20/14
Young Forest Habitat Creation Continues at Sparta Mt. WMA - 11/18/13
Forest Habitat to be Created on Sparta Mt WMA to Benefit Endangered Species - 2/6/13
- Whiting WMA Natural Resource Stewardship Plan
- Weldon Brook WMA Forest Stewardship Plan
Forest Management Activities At Weldon Brook WMA To Benefit Imperiled Species - 3/17/14
- 2013 New Jersey Quail Calendar (pdf, 9.5mb) - Contains useful information for landowner action
- Managing Grasslands, Shrublands, and Young Forest Habitats for Wildlife
- NJ Wildlife Action Plan
- The Landowner Incentive Program - For private landowners interested in conserving threatened and endangered species on their property; funding discontinued after 2010.
- NRCS Conservation Programs (USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Site)
- Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) in New Jersey (USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Site)
- Conservation Success in New Jersey through Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) (USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service)
- Restoring America’s Wetlands: A Private Lands Conservation Success Story (Wetlands Reserve Program) (USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, pdf, 2.5mb)
- New Jersey Northern Bobwhite Action Plan
- 2012 Quail Action Plan Landowner Survey Results (pdf, 230kb)
- Bobwhite Basics Brochure (pdf, 1.0mb)
- National Bobwhite Conservation Initiative (NBCI site)
- Berkshire Valley WMA Forest Management Activities 1991-2011 (2011)
- Habitat Management for Grassland Birds (2008)
- The Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (2007)
- Ponderlodge Property Draft Management Plan (2006)
- Conservation Partners Team Up for Grasslands Protection (2006)
- Helping People Help the Land and Its Wildlife - An overview of available programs. (2006)
- Establishing Native Warm Season Grasses in New Jersey (pdf, 220kb)
User's Guide to the Truax™ Flex II No-Till Seed Drill (pdf, 170kb)
Herbicide Guide for Establishing NWSG Stands (pdf, 57kb)
- Partners for Fish & Wildlife (US Fish and Wildlife Service)