ATTENTION OYSTER DEALERS AND HARVESTERS
October 28, 2010
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds commercial oyster harvesters that effective July 6, 2010, amendments to N.J.A.C. 7:25A were adopted into regulation. N.J.A.C. 7:25A-1.10 describes new regulations that pertain to the oyster tongers fishery on the Delaware Bay and its tributaries.
The new regulation may affect operations of oyster tongers. Below is a brief overview of the new regulations; this is not a substitute for the rule, this is for informational purposes only.
The new rules state:
- Oyster tongers must obtain a commercial shellfish license prior to harvesting oysters.
- Harvesters must obtain harvest tags prior to harvest and shall pay a landing fee of $2.00 for each bushel to be landed. These tags are available from the Division's Delaware Bay Office (DBO) located at 1672 E. Buckshutem Rd., Millville, NJ 08332.
- The tags shall be affixed to one bushel containers immediately upon use, regardless of volume of oysters, and shall not be removed until the bushels are officially delivered to an oyster dealer.
- Each tonger must submit a weekly report to the DBO. Weekly oyster reports must be received by the Division no later than five business days after the end of the week during which oysters were harvested. Commercial shellfish licenses may not be renewed if reports are not submitted in a timely fashion. These reports are available at the DBO.
- Oyster dealers must also fill out weekly reports to be submitted to the DBO. Weekly oyster dealer reports must be received by the Division no later than five business days after the end of the week during which oysters were purchased. These reports are available at the DBO.
For more information or questions please call the Bureau of Shellfisheries at 856-785-0730.