April 3, 1997
STATE INITIATES STRIPED BASS
BONUS FISH PROGRAM
For more information contact:
Russ Allen at 609-748-2020
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife recently announced the implementation of its Striped Bass Bonus Fish Program. Formerly known as the Striped Bass Trophy Program, this program allows participating anglers to retain one (1) additional striped bass (28 inches or greater) beyond the normal daily possession limit of two (2) from New Jersey’s marine waters.
“The new bonus program is the successful collaboration between division marine biologists and program participants. Many of the revisions to this program are the direct result of comments received from participating anglers,” said Division Director Bob McDowell.
Highlights of changes to this program are as follows:
Applications for this program may be obtained at bonus check stations or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
- Each participant will receive two non-transferable bonus postcards. Only one card is good per day.
- Cards will be color coded and therefore valid only during the calendar year they are issued.
- Anglers must, upon retaining a legal striped bass, immediately fill out a bonus possession card.
- The check station option for registering your bonus fish will continue. There are currently 55 stations statewide. In addition, a mail-in option for registering bonus fish is available. Additional bonus cards will be issued after check-in by the check station or upon mailing the card to the division.
- Mandatory reporting on all fishing trips is no longer a requirement (fishing logs are provided to participants when they apply), but voluntary reporting is strongly encouraged since participants who mail in unused cards and/or fishing reports at the end of each year will automatically be re-entered into the program for the following calendar year.
- A portion of the annual quota will be allotted to the party and charter boat sector. Captains will be required to maintain and submit logbooks and act as official check stations.
- Current participants who did not mail reporting forms for the 1996 season must re-apply for 1997.
N.J. Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife
Striped Bass Bonus Fish Program
P.O. Box 418
Port Republic, NJ 08241
Further information on the bonus program as well as current regulations on striped bass are contained in the marine issue of the New Jersey Fish & Wildlife DIGEST available at division offices and bait and tackle shops statewide by the end of May.
This program DOES NOT extend to freshwaters of the state.