Changes were made when inconsistencies with other maps were found based on preponderance of data. In area where the line was labeled as approximate attempts were made to correctly locate the boundary. The 1986 photoquads were used to move the boundary lines to photo-identifiable features as needed. Changes less than 5 acres were not made. In July, 1997, the coverage was updated to reflect the consolidation of Pahaquarry Township with Hardwick Township. New jersey now has 566 municipalities. In March, 2000, the attributes were edited to properly label West Caldwell as a Township, as verified with the township clerk; it had been labeled as a borough.
In January 2003 the Census 2000 population information was assessed to the former stmun coverage to create this stmun data layer. Additional attributes included population density by square mile.
In May 2003 the FIPS codes and Township names were updated as identified. Essex Fells and North Caldwell were designated Boroughs in 1991 and Passaic Township is now Long Hill Township.
Additional updates were made in October 2004 to include a KEY field for the NJDEP iMap application.
In November 2006, Dover Township, Ocean County was changed to Toms River Township.
In November 2007, Washington Township, Mercer County was changed to Robbinsville Township.
I. Description of Data to be Provided The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restrictions:
Subject Data Layers
For all data contained herein, (NJDEP) makes no representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder. NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.
II. Terms of Agreement
1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.
2. The data are provided, as is, without warranty of any kind and the user is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying Data Dictionary and Readme files. Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact.
3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first obtaining written permission from the NJDEP. This clause is not intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information produced from the digital data.
4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital data will credit the NJDEP's Geographic Information System (GIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer:
"This (map/publication/report) was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized."
5. Users shall require any independent contractor, hired to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP GIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual work. All copies of NJDEP GIS data utilized by an independent contractor will be required to be returned to the original user at the close of such contractual work.
Users hereby agree to abide by the use and reproduction conditions specified above and agree to hold any independent contractor to the same terms. By using data provided herein, the user acknowledges that terms and conditions have been read and that the user is bound by these criteria.
Updates were made in May 2003 to include Census 2000 population data, FIPS code updates and name changes of Municipalities
Additional updates were made in October 2004 to include a KEY field for the NJDEP iMap application
Updates were made in November 2006 to reflect the name change of Dover Township, Ocean County to Toms River Township
The Census Bureau cannot specify the accuracy of features inside of what was the 1980 GBF/DIME-File coverage or selected metropolitan areas. The Census Bureau added updates to the TIGER/Line files that enumerators annotated on maps sheets prepared from the Census TIGER data base as they attempted to traverse every street feature shown on the Census 2000 map sheets; the Census Bureau also made other corrections from updated map sheets supplied by local participants for Census Bureau programs. The locational accuracy of these updates is of unknown quality. In addition to the Federal, State, and local sources, portions of the files may contain information obtained in part from maps and other materials prepared by private companies. Despite the fact the TIGER/Line data positional accuracy is not as high as the coordinate values imply, the six-decimal place precision is useful when producing maps. The precision allows features that are next to each other on the ground to be placed in the correct position, on the map, relative to each other, without overlap.
Census 2000 population tables were joined to existing municipality polygons in January 2003.
County Current FIPS MUN Name FIPS1990 MUN Name
Bergen 77135 Washington township 77480 Washington township Essex 09220 Caldwell borough 09265 Caldwell borough Essex 21840 Essex Fell borough 21850 Essex Fell township Essex 26610 Glen Ridge borough 26620 Glen Ridge borough Essex 52620 North Caldwell borough 52630 North Caldwell township Hunterdon 37065 Kingwood township 37050 Kingwood township Middlesex 59010 Piscataway township 58980 Piscataway township Morris 41362 Long Hill township 56520 Passaic township Ocean 05305 Berkeley township 05300 Berkeley township Warren (annexed by Hardwick twp) 55650 Pahaquarry township