Once lands are acquired or developed with Green Acres funds, they must continue to be used solely for recreation and conservation purposes in perpetuity (and are known as "funded parkland.")
In addition, all lands that a county or municipality holds
for recreation and conservation purposes at the time that it accepts
Green Acres funds are subject to a Green Acres restriction (and are
known as "unfunded parkland.") The Recreation
and Open Space Inventory ("ROSI") is the master list of Green Acres-encumbered
properties in each municipality (both funded parkland and unfunded parkland.)
The Bureau of Legal Services and Stewardship maintains the ROSIs and
oversees Green Acres-encumbered parkland for compliance with the
Green Acres rules.
Bureau staff inspect parkland sites to ensure that they are well
maintained and are open and accessible for public recreation and
conservation purposes. They also respond to questions and complaints
from the public about the operation and maintenance of Green Acres
In those rare instances where it is appropriate to divert Green
Acres-encumbered parkland from recreation or conservation use, the
Bureau handles the diversion application process set forth in N.J.A.C. 7:36-26 .
The Bureau also handles proposed conveyances of NJDEP-held parkland,
including easements across NJDEP property, auctions of surplus real
property and land swaps. However, questions about leases or concessions
on NJDEP property should be directed to the Office of Leases.
|STEWARDSHIP HELP DESK|
The Green Acres Stewardship Help Desk is available to answer general questions
about stewardship of Green Acres-encumbered parkland, including:
- “Is this parkland?” (jurisdictional determinations)
- “May I do ______ on Green Acres-encumbered parkland? Is this a diversion?” (questions about allowable uses on parkland)
- “Is this a ‘change in use’?”
- Questions about fees, scheduling and leases/use agreements.
- Questions about use or construction of structures.
- Questions about errors on or omissions from ROSIs.
- General questions about the diversion process.
- General questions about easements across State land or proposed conveyances of State land, including land swaps
To submit a Green Acres Stewardship question by e-mail click here