Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT 14 – Reconstruction of a legally existing functioning bulkhead

The Coastal General Permit 14 authorizes reconstruction of a legally existing functioning bulkhead, provided:

  • For the site along a man-made lagoon (definition is at N.J.A.C. 7:7-1.3) the reconstruction is located in-place or upland of the existing bulkhead;
  • For a site along any other waterway the reconstruction may be located upland, in-place, or within 18 inches waterward of the existing bulkhead if timber is used and up to 24 inches if vinyl is used, depending on impacts to Special Areas defined at N.J.A.C. 7:7E-3;
  • For all bulkhead replacements the bulkhead is located upland of any wetlands;
  • Bulkheads subject to wave run up forces (in V-zones) must be designed and certified by an engineer;
  • Rip rap may be allowed if the Department determines it is necessary to protect the bulkhead from scour;
  • Clean fill from an upland source is used for backfill;
  • The bulkhead must not create erosion or filling on neighboring properties, and cannot have an adverse impact to any Special Areas defined at N.J.A.C. 7:7E-3;
  • Public access is required in accordance with N.J.A.C 7:7E-3.50 and 8.11, unless 7:7-7.14(b)2i applies to your project.

You can read the full details on pages 129-131 in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7.

If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 14, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a CAFRA or Waterfront Development Individual Permit.  Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2015
Last Updated: February 9, 2015