Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT 16 – Landfall of utilities

The Coastal General Permit 16 authorizes the landfall of utilities including cable, telecommunication, petroleum, natural gas, water and sanitary sewer lines that are constructed in tidal water bodies and authorized pursuant to the Waterfront Development Law or the Flood Hazard Area Control Act.   Particulars for this general permit include the following:

  • The section of line that extends away from the mean high water line is not more than 150 feet long and connects to an existing line in the upland.
  • The disturbance within the right-of-way is not more than 20 feet wide.
  • Excavations must be returned to pre-disturbance elevation, preferably with the original topsoil and the re-vegetated.
  • The landfall must not have an adverse impact to Special Areas as defined at N.J.A.C. 7:7E-3.
  • Silt fences must be utilized during construction and remain in place until final restoration is complete.
  • Construction equipment must be land based or based on barges, not placed or stored directly in the tidal water. 
  • All cutting agents must be contained and properly disposed.
  • Sanitary sewer lines must be consistent with the adopted Water quality Management Plan.

You can read the full details in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7-7.16.
If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 16, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a CAFRA Individual Permit.  Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2015
Last Updated: February 9, 2015