Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT  27 – Geotechnical survey borings

The Coastal General Permit 27 authorizes geotechnical survey borings and/or excavations for the purpose of obtaining information on subsurface conditions.  The particulars of this general permit include:   

  • The purpose for the borings and excavations is to determine information including but not limited to the presence or extent of contamination in subsurface soils or groundwater or for obtaining seismic information.
  • This general permit does not authorize borings and related site disturbance in shellfish habitat, submerged vegetation habitat or endangered or threatened wildlife or plant species habitats.
  • Borings and related site disturbance must comply with the wild and scenic river corridor, wetlands, and wetlands buffers rules.
  • The work must be done in compliance with N.J.A.C. 7:26E-3 of the Technical Requirements for Site Remediation.
  • Disturbance to vegetation for access is limited and timing restrictions for the activities apply.  See N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.27(a) 4 and 5.
  • If acid-producing soils are encountered, they must be manages in accordance with the Flood Hazard Area Control Act rules (N.J.A.C. 7:7-13).
  • Boreholes must be backfilled.

You can read the full details in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7-7.27.

If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 27, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a CAFRA or Waterfront Development Individual Permit.  Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2015
Last Updated: February 9, 2015