COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT 29 – Habitat creation and enhancement activities
The Coastal General Permit 29 authorizes habitat creation or enhancement sponsored or substantially funded by a Federal or State agency or other entity. The particulars of this general permit include:
- This coastal general permit authorizes the described activities only if the sole purpose of the activity is habitat creation or enhancement.
- For this general permit a “sponsor” must be an active participant in or substantial financial contributor to the activities and must endorse the activities in writing.
- The seven types of acceptable habitat creation and enhancement plans are described at N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.29(b).
- The habitat creation and enhancement activities authorized by this coastal general permit are described at N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.29(c).
- The items that must be demonstrated to prove eligibility for the general permit are described at N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.29(d).
- Additional requirements apply to the activity if it is proposed in a Special Area as defined in N.J.A.C. 7:7E-3. These additional requirements including alternatives, minimization and conservation restrictions and are detailed at N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.29(e).
- Public access must be provided in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:7E-3.50 and 8.11.
You can read the full details in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7-7.29.
If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 29, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a CAFRA Individual Permit. Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.