COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT 31 – Construction of wind turbines less than 250 feet in height and having a cumulative rotor swept area no greater than 20,000 square feet
The Coastal General Permit 31 authorizes wind turbines less than 250 feet in height. The particulars of this general permit include:
- The wind turbines are less than 250 feet in height, measured from ground surface to the tip of the blade at its highest position.
- The cumulative rotor swept area must be no greater than 20,000 square feet, either solely or in conjunction with wind turbines previously located on the site.
- No portion of the wind turbines, shall be locate in, on or over dunes, beaches, wetlands, coastal bluffs or wild and scenic river corridors.
- The towers and all site disturbance is located outside of floodways.
- No portion of the wind turbines or site disturbance may be located in an area mapped as threatened or endangered species habitat on the Department’s Landscape Maps, on the Department’s Large Scale Wind Turbine Siting map or within on-quarter mile of an area so identified on the Siting Map.
- No portion of the wind turbines or site disturbance may be closer than 50 feet from the mean high water line, the inland limit of beach or dune or any wetlands.
- The project must comply with the critical wildlife habitat rule.
- Monitoring may be required, see N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.31(a)9.
- If the wind turbine is more than 120 feet tall, the tower must be a free standing monopole.
- Lighting required by the Federal Aviation Administration is allowed on the wind turbine, as is ground level security lighting. No other lighting is allowed.
- Timing restrictions and limitations on operation of the wind turbines may apply. See N.J.A.C. 7:7-7.31(b).
You can read the full details in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7-7.31.
If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 31, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a CAFRA Individual Permit. Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.