GENERAL PERMIT 31 – Placement of Shell within Shellfish Lease Areas
General Permit 31 authorizes the placement of shell in an area with a valid shellfish lease authorized under N.J.S.A. 50:1-23, provided:
- The shell to be planted is comprised of processed oyster, surf clam and/or ocean quahog shell or other shell material approved by the Department;
- The height of the shell material placed on the bottom of the water body does not exceed 6” above the substrate;
- The placement of shell does not pose a hazard to navigation; and
- All shell is clean and free of contaminants.
Please be advised:
- This General Permit does not authorize the stockpiling of shell or dredging activities.
Full details are provided at N.J.A.C.7:7-6.31
If your project does not meet the requirements of the General Permit 31, it may qualify for another General Permit, Permit-by-rule, or an Individual Permit. Additional information on these permit types can be found on the Coastal Permitting page.