This permit is associated with controlling soil erosion and stabilizing or restoring stream banks for agricultural purposes on an active farm, which has been approved by and will be performed under the supervision of the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service and/or local soil conservation district.
For application requirements, procedures, documents, fees, etc., please see N.J.A.C. 7:13-8.1(c) through (e).
The proposed activity must comply with the following, in order to qualify for this general permit:
- The project is accomplished by re-sloping the eroded bank and planting vegetation where possible. Where these techniques alone will not stabilize erosion, or where more than 2,000 square feet of trees would be cleared, cut or removed using such methods, soil bioengineering, shall be used;
- Disturbance to vegetation within the riparian zone is minimized;
- The cross-sectional area of the channel is not significantly altered;
- The activity will not obstruct flow in the channel or floodway; and
- All cleared, cut or removed vegetation in the riparian zone is replanted with indigenous, non-invasive vegetation, except where the removed vegetation has been replaced by non-vegetative stabilizing material;
This page is for informational purposes only. Please see N.J.A.C. 7:13-8.5 for the precise rules concerning this General Permit.
Getting a Flood Hazard General Permit Number 2a: If you believe that your project qualifies for an FHA GP2a and you do not know how to apply for one, we suggest that you visit “The Permit Process” section of this website for more information. You will get a general overview of the ins and outs of the permitting process and will also be directed to the necessary forms you will need. Please be advised that any application submitted must follow the procedures and information requirements.
Note: The Department has, for your convenience, developed an Application Checklist for all Flood Hazard General Permits. Please follow carefully the requirements as outlined on the checklist for FHA GP2a to insure that you have all the required information necessary to complete and process your application.
A direct link to the rules cited in our standard approval letter for this General Permit can be found below.
N.J.A.C. 7:13-8.2 FHA General permit 2
N.J.A.C. 7:13-8.1 Standards applicable to all general
N.J.A.C. 7:13-8.2 “General Permit Conditions”
N.J.A.C. 7:13 - Index to the entire rule.
Please Note: The Department has made every effort to ensure that the text of this regulation is identical to the official, legally effective version set forth in the New Jersey Register. However, should there be any discrepancies between the text on this web site and the official version of the rule, the official version will govern. For more information on obtaining official versions of the rules, How To Get a Paper Copy of Department Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
If you do not see an answer to your question below, please use the Land Use Contact form on this website. We will make every attempt to answer your question as promptly as possible.
No FAQ for this general permit at this time.