navigation bar
DEP Graphic  
Division of Parks and Forestry Graphic
parks home njdep home
 
Home
Visit the Trenton Battle Monument
other Historic sites
2007 History Fair
Commerative Items for sale
NJ living History Council
 
 
 

Efforts to erect a monument honoring the American success at Trenton, began as early as 1843, but little was accomplished until the 1880's. By then, the former New Jersey Monument Association had obtained a new charter and a new name - the Trenton Battle Monument Association. In December 1886, the Association selected a lot at the junction of Greene (formerly Queen, now Broad) and Warren (formerly King) Streets as a site for the monument. In June 1887, advertisements for
designs and specifications for the monument were published.

It took another four years to raise enough money for the project, but on September 20, 1891, with $30,000 from the U.S. Congress, $15,000 from the State of New Jersey and $15,000 in private subscriptions, groundbreaking
ceremonies took place. A parade, lunches, speeches and fireworks characterized the day. Three months later, on December 26, 1891, the corner-stone was laid marking the 115 anniversary of the Battle of Trenton.

On October 19, 1893, elaborate dedication ceremonies were held. An estimated 20,000 people attended the commemorative exercises. Another 100,000 crowded the streets of Trenton. Cannons boomed and bands played patriotic music. Souvenir ribbons sold for 25 cents. One of the day's highlights was the unveiling of three bronze plaques for the base of the monument. These plaques were funded by the states of Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut whose home troops had participated in the Battle. Although President Cleveland was unable to attend, Governors of eight of the 13 original states did. The monument opened to the public on December 26, 1896


 

 

bottom footer

parks and forestry: find a park | forestry | forest fire | natural lands | education | historic sites| historic preservation
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2004
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: June 29, 2007

nj home citizen business government services a to z departments dep home contact dep privacy notice legal statement accessibility statement nj home