LIMITED DENTAL RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGY
Scope of Practice:
At the direction of a New Jersey licensed dentist a licensed dental radiologic technologist is permitted to perform dental radiographic procedures for diagnostic purposes. Actual patient positioning is restricted to intraoral and extraoral procedures of the mouth and jaw area. The following tasks have been identified within the scope of practice of a licensed dental radiologic technologist: positioning of the patient for a dental radiographic procedure for diagnostic purposes, aligning the x-ray tube to the image receptor, setting tube distance and exposure factors, exercising proper principles of radiation protection and making the exposure. A licensed dental radiologic technologist is not permitted to operate fluoroscopic or computerized axial tomography equipment, including cone beam computerized tomography procedures.
Completion of a dental radiography program approved by the Radiologic Technology Board of Examiners (Board) or its equivalent as determined by the Board.
The Radiologic Technology Board of Examiners has adopted the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health & Safety Examination as its examination in dental radiologic technology. Candidates for examination should apply directly to DANB as described below:
Dental Assisting National Board
444 N. Michigan Ave, Ste 900
Chicago, IL 60611-3985.
Apply to DANB to take their Radiation Health & Safety Examination.
License Application and Requirements:
To become licensed in dental radiologic technology, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of the application;
- Complete at least a high school level education in the United States or its equivalent;
- Complete the above educational requirement. If you graduated from a Board approved program, you must submit your approved “Clinical Affiliation Application” and completed “Dental Radiography Verification of Curriculum Completion form”. If you did not complete a Board approved program, you must submit information contained in the examination/license appendix.
- Be of good moral character as determined by the Board;
- Pass either: (a) Board's licensing examination, or (b) the Dental Assisting National Board's (DANB) RHS examination within five years of your application, or (c) Hold a current DANB dental assisting certification, or (d) hold a current New Jersey dental assisting registration with proof of passing DANB's RHS examination or (e) Pass an equivalent* examination as determined by the Board; and
- Submit to the Department a complete application.
* If you passed another state's examination, you must submit proof of a current state radiography license and information from that state agency regarding its licensing examination. If this examination was administered by DANB, you must also submit your score report.