Delaware • New Jersey • Pennsylvania
New York • United States of America
The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC), a federal-interstate water resource management agency, currently has one employment opportunity for a Director of Finance and Administration. Please note that submissions from interested, qualified candidates must be received by 5:00 p.m., Thursday, November 10, 2016.
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Full-Time
SALARY RANGE: $89,650 – $134,300
BRANCH: Finance and Administration
SUPERVISED BY: Executive Director
The Director Finance and Administration is a senior management position of the Delaware River Basin Commission. The position directs daily administrative, financial, and information technology activities of the Commission. The position is responsible for the Commission’s accounting and financial records; budgeting; human resources management; computer systems, programs, and equipment; insurance; receipt, disbursement, and investment of funds; operation and maintenance of the Commission’s office building and vehicle fleet; purchase and maintenance of equipment and supplies. The position also serves as the Freedom of Information Officer.
The position reports to the Executive Director and supervises the finance, administration, and information technology staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Supervision of Staff - The following positions report to the Director, Finance and Administration:
- Head, Fiscal Section
- Supervisor, Information Technology
- Administrative Assistant
- Support Services Technician
- Develops and recommends fiscal management policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Serves as a principal advisor to Executive Director in all fiscal management issues.
- Invests funds of the Commission in insured or secured investments to maximize rate of return.
- Prepares annual budgets and future year budget forecasts in cooperation with the Executive Director and Senior Managers.
- Works with executive and management staff to manage expenses to annual budget.
- Authorizes payroll and issuance of vendor payments.
- Co-signs Commission checks with other authorized signers.
- Procures all Commission equipment and supplies following the purchasing guidelines.
- Coordinates independent auditors to review and prepare annual financial audit report.
- Reviews all grants and contracts to be executed by the Commission and makes appropriate recommendations to the Executive Director.
- Coordinate the Commission’s insurance program in conjunction with the Broker.
Human Resources Duties
- Develops and recommends personnel policy additions and changes to the Executive Director.
- Oversees the hiring and promotion of all staff, including assisting with interviewing and determining appropriate salaries.
- Advises Executive Director on all employee/human resources matters.
- Implements and maintains the provisions of the Commission Administrative Manual; develops amendments to manual as necessary.
- Ensures the integrity of the pay for performance evaluation system by working with managers to prepare consistent and appropriate evaluations. Makes recommendations for annual increases based on annual budgets and salary administration procedures.
- Works with management as needed to support human resource issues.
Information Technologies Duties
- Coordinates computer technology projects for the Commission in conjunction with the Supervisor, Information Technology.
- Evaluates all hardware and software upgrades and purchases for the Commission’s information technology systems in conjunction with the Supervisor, Information Technology.
- Assists the Supervisor, Information Technology with identifying and prioritizing development of and upgrades to custom software applications.
Required Knowledge and Competencies
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and fiscal management.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of auditing and cost accounting.
- Knowledge of budgeting policies and procedures.
- Ability to prepare, analyze, and interpret accounting and cost accounting records and various forms of financial statements.
- Basic understanding of sound investment practices and strategies.
- Comprehension of the principles and practices of administrative methods and human resources management.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion when applying and interpreting human resources policies and federal/state employment laws.
- Experience with and knowledge of sound salary administration practices and processes.
- Ability to access a wide range of priorities and allocate resources based on organization-wide needs.
- Awareness of federal programs to include the preparation of budgets and the respective application forms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with outside agencies, all levels of Commission staff, other Commission officials, and the general public.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate federal and state agreements and other legal contracts.
- Understanding of information technology strategies and other functions.
- Excellent communications skills to include public speaking. This also includes the ability to listen, speak, and write effectively.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Skills and experience above related to government and public administration, preferred, but not required.
Minimum Work Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, and/or Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience at a management level in government, NGO, or corporate organization. Senior or executive management experience preferred.
- Strong leadership and management skills and experience.
- Graduate degree(s) that support the position requirements preferred.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Submit resume and salary history:
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred); or
By mail to Richard C. Gore, Director, Finance and Administration, Delaware River Basin Commission, 25 State Police Drive, P.O. Box 7360, West Trenton, NJ 08628
Submissions for the Director, Finance and Administration position must be received by
5:00 p.m., Thursday, November 10, 2016