Delaware • New Jersey • Pennsylvania
New York • United States of America
The winter is finally transitioning towards spring and has left a mess in its wake! If you are interested and able, perhaps consider volunteering for a cleanup event to help beautify the waterways, parks, shorelines, and streets of the Delaware River Watershed.
Below is a shortlist of just a few the many opportunities available; please visit the links provided to learn more and to sign-up to volunteer.
- Schuylkill Scrub: Now partnered with the Great American Cleanup of PA, the Schuylkill Scrub is an annual clean-up initiative that takes place March 1 through May 31. Event organizers can register their event with the Schuylkill Scrub if it is within the Schuylkill River Watershed and interested volunteers can find an event to participate in by visiting the Scrub's web site linked above. The Scrub is coordinated by the Schuylkill Action Network, of which DRBC is a member.
- Philly Spring Cleanup: Organized by Philadelphia Streets, the 8th Annual Philly Spring Cleanup will take place on Saturday, April 11, 2015 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at numerous locations throughout the City of Philadelphia. One example is the Lardner's Point Park Cleanup from 10 a.m. to 12 noon on April 11; this riverfront park is located just south of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. Please visit the aforementioned link for a complete listing of events and more information. Contact Donald Carlton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Musconetcong River Cleanup: Organized by the Musconetcong Watershed Association, the 23rd Annual Musconetcong River Cleanup will take place on Saturday, April 11, 2015 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at various sites from Lake Hopatcong to the Delaware River. To register or for more information, please contact Val Thorpe at email@example.com or at (908) 537-7060.
- Delaware Canal CleanUp: The Friends of the Delaware Canal will hold their annual canal cleanup on April 11, 2015 starting at 9 a.m. at multiple locations along the length of the Delaware Canal from Easton, Pa. to Bristol, Pa. For more details, please visit the aforementioned link (scroll down to Delaware Canal Cleanup Day); cleanups are being organized by various canal tenders/coordinators, and their contact information is listed by location.
- Schuylkill River Towns' Cleanups: Schuylkill River Towns, an initiative of the Pennsylvania Environmental Council, will hold several cleanups this April. On Saturday, April 11, 2015, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., help clean up the Schuylkill River trail in Conshohocken, Pa. On Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., help clean up the Schuylkill River and French Creek in Phoenixville, Pa. And, on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. and also on Saturday, April 25, 2015 from 12:30 p.m. until 3 p.m., help cleanup Riverfront Park, Haws Avenue, Norristown, Pa. Please visit the links for more details.
- United by Blue River Cleanups: For every product it sells, United by Blue, an outdoor apparel brand located in Philadelphia, Pa., removes one pound of trash from oceans and waterways through company organized and hosted cleanups. This year, several cleanup events are scheduled for locations in the Delaware and Schuylkill watersheds. For a complete listing, please visit the aforementioned link and select which cleanup event you are interested in.
- Christina River Watershed Cleanup: The 24th Annual Christina River Watershed Clean-Up will take place on Saturday, April 18, 2015, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Over the years, this clean-up effort has removed over 350 tons of tires, appliances, household items, and other trash from within the watershed, which provides more than 75% of the water supply for residents and businesses in New Castle County, Delaware. Learn more by visiting their web site. Register online or by contacting clean-up coordinator Shirley Posey at (302) 838-1897.
- Earth Day Work Day: The Silver Lake Nature Center in Bristol, Pa. will partner with Keep PA Beautiful and the Greenbelt Overhaul Alliance of Levittown (GOAL) to hold a cleanup work day at the nature center on Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. The cleanup will focus on Silver and Magnolia lakes, as well as their various watershed monitoring sites. For more information, please contact Jenn Bilger at 215-785-1177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clean Communities Litter March: The 28th Annual Trenton, N.J. Litter March will take place on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 from 9:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. A citywide cleanup effort designed to clear debris and recyclable litter from Trenton neighborhoods while promoting environmental and community stewardship, the Litter March's 2015 theme is Trenton Stands in Unity for Clean Communities. Meet at Trenton City Hall; transportation to cleanup sites will be provided - as well as gloves, tools, and trash bags - if not in walking distance. For more information, please contact Ramona Prilo at email@example.com or (609) 989-3152.