AchieveNJ for Specialists/Directors/Other Staff
While a number of educators in public schools are not classroom teachers, they still play very important roles in the overall educational development of students. These educators support curriculum and instruction, provide academic and personal counseling, serve on Child Study Teams, and support athletic programs. Their roles include directors, supervisors, library/media specialists, school nurses, school psychologists, school social workers, occupational therapists, in addition to many other positions important to our state's schoolchildren. All New Jersey students deserve to attend schools with high-quality professionals serving in these positions, and all of these professionals deserve meaningful opportunities for growth.
Over the past year, the Department has worked with teams of accomplished professionals from several groups representing educators in specialized roles, including the Athletic Trainers' Society of New Jersey (ATSNJ), the New Jersey School Counselors Association (NJSCA), and the New Jersey Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NJSHA). This collaboration has resulted in the creation of role-specific evaluation instruments that districts may choose to adopt. While the Department does not require the use of these instruments, we support the educator groups in their efforts to promote the use of tools that address the specific job responsibilities of their members. As the Department continues to develop guidance for staff members in specialized roles, we will continue to learn from these groups and their partner districts during their first year of utilizing these evaluation instruments, which are listed below:
- ATSNJ Instrument for Athletic Trainers
- NJSCA's New Jersey School Counselor Evaluation Model
- NJSHA's Framework for Speech-Language Specialists – Evidence of Effectiveness Note: NJSHA has a licensing agreement and can only post information to members; the link provided above connects to the membership sign-in page.
Download additional information:
- AchieveNJ Regional Overview Presentation
- AchieveNJ Overview
- AchieveNJ Specialists and Others Evaluation Overview
- AchieveNJ Directors and Supervisors Evaluation Overview
- AchieveNJ for School Librarians: Frequently Asked Questions