Fall Checklist for New Bilingual/ESL/ELS Supervisors and Coordinators
This is a checklist of recommendations to review that will help you start off your year. These recommendations are not all a mandated protocol, but they do reflect best practices.
- Review the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 page to ensure that your district is ready for ACCESS 2.0-related training and technology requirements.
- Review and prepare for the New Jersey ACCESS 2.0 Administration Dates (2015-2016).
- Review home language surveys received during the summer (see example here) and administer a state approved language proficiency test with new students.
- Send ACCESS for ELLs reports and translations to parents/guardians.
- Send entrance/exit/continuance letters to parents/guardians.
- Sign up for October Bilingual/ESL NJDOE Workshops.
- Consider a model program visit at one of these schools.
- Review the Bilingual Education Administrative Code to confirm that your district is in compliance.
- If necessary, work with the district web administrator to update the "Bilingual/ESL/ELS Point of Contact" on the CDS system.