As of May 15, 2015, paper certificates will no longer be issued. As of May 5, 2015 we will no longer accept requests for duplicate certificates.
All information about certificates is now available online including certificate name, certificate ID number, date of issuance, and expiration date if applicable. Instructions to view this information can be found at http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/license/tcis/instructions.pdf.
To view the presentation for regional training sessions for district and county certification staff for 2015-16, please click here.
On June 3, 2015, the Department of Education presented to the State Board of Education proposed updates to a range of teacher preparation and certification requirements. Some of the updates proposed affect how Certificate of Eligibility (CE) and Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) holders will advance toward earning a standard certificate. Also proposed are changes to substitute teaching requirements.
Please see the following documents for more information:
Effective July 7, 2014, regulations regarding GPA requirements, flexibility rules, and basic skills tests changed. The changes are as follows:
GPA Requirements (see this Overview of GPA Requirements for full details):
- Students graduating after September 1, 2016 will need to achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.
- Students graduating prior to September 1, 2016 require a minimum GPA of 2.75. Note that New Jersey preparation programs are free to exceed this minimum, and that most do so.
- An eligible candidate may have a GPA lower than 3.00 and higher than 2.75 if they are sponsored by an Alternate Route Training Program.
- If an applicant has below a 2.75 GPA and above a 2.50, he or she can apply for flex rule with higher praxis test scores.
- If an applicant has 3.5 GPA or higher, he or she can use flex rule for lower praxis test scores unless otherwise precluded by their educator preparation program. Note that most New Jersey preparation programs do not allow this flexibility.
Additional Testing effective September 1, 2015:
- Those submitting a complete application that is received prior to September 1, 2015 will not be required to meet the basic skills requirement. As of September 1 2015, For any application that has been denied, the applicant will be required to meet the basic skills requirement.
All initial CE and CEAS candidates must pass a Commissioner-approved test of basic skills (Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing and Math), or score in the top one-third percentile on the SAT, ACT, or GRE for the year the test was taken. The top one-third percentile score for each test, for each year the data is available is posted to the Department's website at http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/rpr/preparation/BasicSkillsExemptionCutScores.pdf
- Our office provides transcript evaluations to determine if your coursework meets certification requirements for a $70.00 evaluation fee. Transcript Evaluations are suspended during our busy season of May 1st through September 30th.
- Please click here for the procedures to obtain a transcript evaluation.