U.S. SENATE YOUTH PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS ENDED THEREFORE APPLICATIONS WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED. DELEGATES AND ALTERNATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER.
Thank you for your interest in applying for the United States Senate Youth Leadership Program. Two New Jersey students will be selected as New Jersey delegates by an esteemed panel in the fall to represent the State of New Jersey at the week-long program in Washington D.C. You must be recommended by your high school principal and/or guidance department in order to receive the application materials.
Student candidates must:
- Follow the directions listed on the 2013-2014 New Jersey Application Requirements document;
- Complete the 2013-2014 New Jersey Application Form using a computer or typewriter;
- Obtain the principal's signature on the 2013-2014 New Jersey Application Form;
- Attach a two-page typed student essay, double spaced, using 12 point Times New Roman font with ½” margins, describing:
- Participation in a student government, civic or educational organization;
- Leadership experiences;
- Involvement in community service and public service activities;
- Interest in and desire to learn more about this country’s political and governmental processes; and
- Ways in which participation may benefit others in the school and community.
- Include a one-page resume describing awards and accomplishments, extracurricular activities, work experiences, and service to school and community (use 12 point font with ½” margins);
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from the principal; and a letter of recommendation from the class, student council or organization advisor. Letters should be on letterhead with title and signature. Include information about student’s specific accomplishments as well as evidence of leadership and motivation.