For More Information Contact the Public
Kathryn Forsyth, Director
For Release: December 20, 2005
Title I Supplemental Educational Services Application Period Now Open
The New Jersey Department of Education has opened a new application period for organizations interested in serving as Title I supplemental educational services (SES) providers during the 2006-2007 school year.
The application period began on December 16, 2005 and is open until February 28, 2006. The notice of application is available on the DOE web site at www.nj.gov/njded/title1/program/ss/.
SES, required under the federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) school improvement process, is additional academic assistance for low-income students who attend schools that receive Title I funding and did not meet adequate yearly progress (AYP) standards in terms of their test scores, leading to their designation as “schools in need of improvement” under NCLB.
These schools must use a portion of their federal funds to offer eligible students additional help in the form of tutoring or other remedial services outside the regular school day to increase their level of academic achievement, particularly in reading, language arts, and mathematics.
Entities eligible to apply to provide SES include (but are not limited to):
- Community agencies
- Charter schools (except those identified as “in need of improvement” under NCLB)
- Private schools
- Child care centers
- Public schools (except those identified as “in need of improvement” under NCLB)
- Community colleges
- Private companies
- On-line schools
- Family literacy programs
- Faith-based organizations
The applicant providers will be reviewed and approved by DOE based on the following criteria:
- A demonstrated record of effectiveness in improving student academic achievement.
- Documentation that the instructional strategies used by the provider are high quality, based upon research, and designed to increase student academic content standards.
- Evidence that the provider is financially sound.
DOE will sponsor two technical assistance workshops to assist prospective providers with their applications on the following dates at the following locations:
- Wednesday, January 11, 2006, at the PSE&G Training and Development Center, Edison, New Jersey, from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Friday, January 13, 2006, at the Gloucester County Office of Education, Sewell, New Jersey, from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Attendees must register on-line at http://education.state.nj.us/events. The technical assistance sessions include information about the application process, the background and provision of SES, and the monitoring expectations.
The current list of approved SES providers is posted on the DOE Web site at www.nj.gov/njded/title1/program/ss/search.shtml.
For more information, please contact the DOE Public Information Office at (609) 292-1126.