Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is located in North Wildwood. It
opened in 1874. The lighthouse is the only example of a Swiss
Gothic building on the East Coast. It has five fireplaces.
This makes Hereford Inlet Lighthouse more elegant than other
lighthouses built at the same time.
area originally served as the Hereford Inlet Life Saving
Station No. 36. It was turned into a lighthouse to guide
coal ships and other boats through the inlet. Hereford
Inlet Lighthouse is located on a dune, and the light
can be seen for 13 miles.
storm severely damaged the foundation of the lighthouse in
1913. Builders moved it further inland to keep further damage
from happening. The light was shut off for almost 20 years
in the late 1900s. After restoring the lighthouse, the light
was turned back on in 1986.
Egg Harbor (Tucker's Island)