HIV, STD and TB Services

Select textsizemediumlargelarger

Health Insurance Continuation

How can I keep my health insurance if I lose my job?

The New Jersey Health Insurance Continuation Program (HICP) is a special program for New Jersey residents with HIV or AIDS. This program allows you to keep your health insurance when you can no longer work or when you can only work part time. If you qualify, HICP will pay the monthly payments (premiums) for your health insurance, including family insurance that covers your spouse and/or children.

Return to Top

Why wouldn't I automatically lose my health insurance if my hours are reduced from full-time to part-time, or I become unemployed?

By law, you may have the right to continue your health insurance at your own expense. The New Jersey HICP can help by paying these premiums but you must act promptly! If you expect to have trouble paying your medical premiums, apply for help immediately.

Return to Top

What if I work in a small company?

Even though the law does not apply to small employers, these companies often have policies allowing people to continue their insurance after they leave.

Return to Top

What if I bought my own insurance?

If you have HIV/AIDS, the HICP helps you keep the health insurance you have, even privately purchased insurance.

Return to Top

If I don't have health insurance, will the program buy it for me?

No. The New Jersey HICP will only be used to pay for insurance that you already have and are in danger of losing.

Return to Top

Who is eligible?

An individual can earn up to $55,580 annually. An additional $19,800 is allowed for each household dependent. Income guidelines are updated in March each year.

Return to Top

How do I apply?

You can request an application from the New Jersey HICP office by calling 1-800-353-3232. The completed application must be returned to the New Jersey HICP Office.

Return to Top

You must provide:

Return to Top

Once I qualify, how will the program pay my insurance premiums?

The New Jersey HICP coordinator will work with your employer or former employer and your insurance company to make the payments.

Return to Top

How long will this help be available?

The program will pay your health insurance premiums as long as you continue to be eligible for the program. The law requires that you act within 60 days of leaving your job or of changing to part-time work if you wish to continue your health insurance coverage.

If you think you may qualify and need help making insurance payments, YOU MUST ACT NOW. Apply for the Health Insurance Continuation Program (HICP).

Call HICP 1-800-353-3232

or write to:

New Jersey Department of Health
Insurance Continuation Program
PO Box 363
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0363

Return to Top

Agencies where applications and additional information may be available:

New Jersey AIDS Hotline

For services to women, children and adolescents with HIV, you may contact:  

Family Centered HIV Care Network
Special Child Health and Early Intervention Services
PO Box 364, Trenton, NJ 08625-0364
(609) 777-7748
FAX (609) 292-3580

County-Specific Assistance

  1. If you live in Bergen or Passaic Counties, contact the Bergen-Passaic TGA
    Office of AIDS, City of Paterson,
    Department of Human Resources
    125 Ellison
    Paterson, NJ 07505

    Catherine Correa (for Mayor Joey Torres)
    Phone: 973-321-1242, ext 6
    Fax: 973-321-1225

  2. If you live in Hudson County, contact the Jersey City TGA
    Hudson County Department of Human Services
    County Avenue, Bldg 2
    Secaucus, NJ 07904

    Carol Ann Wilson, Director
    Phone 201-271-4357

  3. If you live in Middlesex, Somerset or Hunterdon Counties, contact the Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon TGA
    Ryan White Program, Middlesex County Department of Human Services
    1 JFK Square, 5th Floor
    New Brunswick, NJ 08901

    Rachel Hext (for Thomas Seilheimer, Director of Middlesex
    County, Department of Human Services)
    Phone: 732-745-3149
    Fax: 732-745-2568

  4. If you live in Essex, Union, Morris, Sussex or Warren Counties, contact the Newark EMA
    Ryan White Program
    Newark Department of Health and Human Services
    110 William Street
    Newark, NJ 0701
    Ketlen Alsbrook, Acting Grant Manager (For Mayor Cory Booker)
    Phone: (973) 733 - 4818
    Fax: (973) 733 - 5444
    Email: alsbrookk@ci.newark,
  5. If you live in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, or Salem Counties
    Contact the Philadelphia EMA
    AIDS Activities Coordinating Office (AACO)
    City of Philadelphia, Department of Public Health
    1101 Market Street, 9th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19107

    John Cella, Director
    Phone: 215-685-5667
    Fax: 215-685-5223

  6. If you live in Cumberland County, contact the Vineland-Bridgeton-Millville TGA
    Tri-County Community Action Agency
    110 Cohansey Street
    Bridgeton, NJ 08302

    Ken Henry (for Herbert Roeschke, Acting Administrator)
    Phone: 856-451-6630, ext 267
    Fax: 856-455-7288

Return to Top