topbrandingbar
corner.gif
Government Information Departments and Agencies NJ Business Portal MY New Jersey NJ people NJ Home Page

CHS Home Page CHS Data CHS Reports List of CHS tables and reports CHS topics from A-Z CHS Links CHS Frequently Asked Questions Search the CHS pages

New Jersey Health Statistics 1996

MORTALITY
1996

TRENDS AND PATTERNS IN LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH

UNINTENTIONAL INJURY NOT RELATED TO MOTOR VEHICLES

The highest rate of death due to unintentional injuries not related to motor vehicles occurs among the elderly (Table M11). Although the deaths rates were highest in the elderly population in 1996, the largest number of deaths occurred in the 25 through 44 year age group; this age group in addition to persons 45 through 64 were the only ones with higher death rates in 1996 than in 1987. The major cause of non-motor vehicle-related unintentional injury deaths among young adults, those aged 25 through 44 years, is poisoning by drugs, medicaments, and biologicals. This category includes accidental overdose of drugs. In 1996, there were 420 deaths of persons aged 25 through 44 from unintentional drug poisonings. This represents 76.5 percent of the unintentional injury deaths not related to motor vehicles in this age group.

Among the elderly, falls were the major cause of unintentional injury deaths other than those related to motor vehicles. There were 182 deaths from falls of persons 65 and over: 38 persons 65 though 74, 58 individuals 75 through 84, and 86 persons 85 and over (CHS, 1998b). The next ranking cause of unintentional injury deaths among the elderly was inhalation and ingestion of food or other object causing obstruction of the respiratory tract or suffocation. Fourteen persons in the 65 through 74 year age group died from this cause, plus 27 persons 75 through 84 years of age and 26 persons 85 and over.

The number of deaths and the death rate from non-motor vehicle-related unintentional injuries remain higher than those related to motor vehicles. Motor vehicle-related injuries accounted for 39.6 percent of the total unintentional injury deaths in 1996, while injuries not related to motor vehicles were responsible for the remaining 60.4 percent.

TABLE M11. RESIDENT DEATHS AND DEATH RATES FROM
NON-MOTOR VEHICLE-RELATED UNINTENTIONAL INJURIES BY AGE GROUP
NEW JERSEY, 1987 AND 1996
AGE GROUP 1996 1987 PERCENT
CHANGE IN
DEATH RATE
1987-1996
NUMBER OF DEATHS DEATH RATE* NUMBER OF DEATHS DEATH RATE*
UNDER 5 27 4.7 56 10.7 -55.7
5-14 16 1.4 45 4.6 -68.5
15-24 79 8.1 124 10.7 -24.2
25-44 549 21.6 472 19.2 12.5
45-64 244 14.4 204 13.1 10.1
65-84 226 23.0 273 30.3 -24.1
85 AND OVER 131 110.4 169 191.4 -42.3
NOT STATED 4 N/A 2 N/A N/A
TOTAL 1,276 13.1 1,345 14.3 -8.4
*DEATH RATES ARE COMPUTED PER 100,000 AGE-SPECIFIC POPULATION
RATES PRESENTED FOR THE TOTAL POPULATION ARE AGE-ADJUSTED


 
Return to Health Statistics 1996

Continue to next Mortality section
State Privacy Notice legal statement DOH Feedback Page New Jersey Home

 
department: njdhss home | index by topic | programs/services
statewide: njhome | my new jersey | people | business | government | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2004
Department of Health
P. O. Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625-0360

Last Updated: