Child Care Health Consultation is a service available to child care providers and the children and families in their care. This service focuses on health and safety issues in child care centers, family child care homes, or in the homes of friends or family members who provide child care.
Who provides Child Care Health Consultation?
Child Care Health Consultation services are coordinated by registered nurses located in each of the county Unified Child Care Agencies (UCCA ) These Health Consultant Coordinators educate the child care community on health and safety issues. They also recruit and train other professionals to become Child Care Health Consultants to provide consultation services in their local communities.
Who are Child Care Health Consultants?
Child Care Health Consultants are health professionals, many of whom are public health nurses from local health departments. They have an interest in and experience with children’s health and knowledge of community resources. They have completed a special training to become aware of the needs of child care providers and the children in their care.
What can a Child Care Health Consultant do for you?
A variety of Child Care Health Consultation services can be made available to child care providers, and the families and children they serve. Upon request, health consultation can be designed to meet individual needs. Important services related to health and safety issues in child care include:
- Visiting on-site with child care providers
- Providing information and advice by telephone
- Evaluation educational training needs
- Giving educational trainings and /or information about topics such as: allergies, giving medication, nutrition, oral health
- Providing information and reviewing children’s health records
- Fostering linkages with community resources, such as finding a health care provider or applying for health insurance
- Assisting with the development of health and safety related policies and procedures
- Helping in planning for the inclusion of children with special needs.
How can I find a Child Care Health Consultant?
The services of a child Health Consultant can be requested by contacting the Consultant Coordinator at the Unified Child Care Agency (UCCA) in your county.
Other useful websites:
Locate a Head Start Program in your community
||Zero to Three
resources for parents and professionals who care for children from newborn to three years of age
||National Resource for Health and Safety in Child Care
Mission is to promote health and safety in out-of-home child care settings
||National Child Care Information Center
A clearinghouse and technical assistance center linking parents, providers, policy makers, researchers, and the public to early care and education information
||National Association of Education of Young Children
Dedicated to improving the quality of programs for children from birth through third grade.
||Healthy Child Care America