DHSS

New Jersey's Active Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Surveillance Statistics
Week of January 22, 2001

Reports were received from 172 schools, with a total population of 135,313 students. The absenteeism rate was 7.07%. This rate is up slightly from 7.02% the week before.

Reports were received from 75 nursing homes with a total population of 10,356. The reported influenza-like illness rate was 2.00%, down from 3.68% the week before.

Reports were received from 61 hospital emergency departments. During the 24 hour surveillance period, a total of 6,366 patients were seen, of which 9.90% were being seen because of a respiratory influenza-like illness. This figure was up from 8.14% the week before.

In the past week, no new viral cultures positive for influenza have been reported.

Nationwide, since October 1, 73% of influenza specimens typed have been A, and 27% have been B. Of those typed as A, 96% were H1N1 and 4% were H3N2. Of the H1N1, 95% were similar to the A New Caledonia strain that was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 5% were similar to A Bayern. Although the A Bayern strain is antigenically distinct from the A New Caledonia strain, there is good cross-reactivity between the antibody produced by the A New Caledonia vaccine component and the A Bayern virus, thus this year's vaccine should provide good protection against A Bayern. All H3N2 virus isolated was antigenically similar to the A Panama strain included in this year's vaccine. All influenza B viruses isolated were antigenically similar to B Beijing which was included in this year's vaccine. Thus this year's vaccine is providing good coverage against the virus strains known to be circulating in the United States at this time.

There has been a gradual rise in school absenteeism since mid-November, with an overall increase of about 1%. In the past week, there has been an increase in the number of patients seen in hospital emergency departments for respiratory influenza-like complaints, especially in southern and northwestern New Jersey. This is likely to represent an increase in influenza activity in these areas. It is reasonable to expect that influenza-like illness will continue to increase in all parts of New Jersey in the coming weeks.

Northeastern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Bergen9.992.563.71
Essex8.34NR15.56
Hudson6.464.437.57
Middlesex5.492.0111.43
Monmouth4.292.337.44
Passaic6.271.9310.39
Union8.242.6110.14

Regional Total6.202.348.86

Northwestern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Hunterdon9.371.704.35
Mercer1.986.454.27
Morris6.013.633.21
SomersetNR0.597.34
Sussex7.112.9710.64
Warren11.370.769.09

Regional Total8.212.055.58

Southern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Atlantic 6.863.0515.85
Burlington10.180.007.08
Camden7.130.4020.87
Cape May7.821.8310.39
Cumberland7.662.198.70
Gloucester8.901.3510.61
Ocean9.371.2610.48
Salem5.553.9213.39

Regional Total8.221.8113.33

Statewide Total7.072.009.90

NR = no report