Crisis Assessment Response and Enhanced Services (CARES)
1-888-393-3007, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Crisis Assessment Response and Enhanced Services (CARES) provides crisis response and stabilization services for a period up to 120 days to adults (age 21 and older) with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
CARES serves individuals anywhere in New Jersey with developmental disabilities who are in mental health or behavioral crisis. CARES staff work out of regional offices in various parts of the state and provide mobile response to individuals in crisis, wherever they are located. CARES provides crisis response to consumers in a variety of settings to help manage behavioral crises in place, to avert unnecessary hospitalizations and assist consumers, family members and professional staff obtain needed expertise to support consumers in crisis.
CARES works with consumers, their families, staff and providers by offering:
- direct response at the time of crisis in family homes, residential placements, day programs, emergency rooms
- technical support to families, guardians, Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health service providers
- link-up with relevant resources
- training for consumers, families, guardians and service providers
- consultations at psychiatric inpatient units
CARES replaces the former Statewide Clinical Consultation & Training Program (SCCAT).