skip to main contentskip to main navigation
State of New Jersey Deapartment of Human Services title graphic  
Division of Developmental Disabilities
New Jersey Helps
NJ 211 Community Resource Website
New Jersey Housing Resource Center
New Jersey Mental Health Cares Hotline
NJ Family Care
New Jersey Lottery
Eligibility for Services

Eligibility for Division-funded Services

In order to receive services funded through the New Jersey Division of Developmental Disabilities, an individual must:

-be 21 years of age or older;
-be a legal resident of the United States and a legal resident of New Jersey;
-be Medicaid eligible and maintain Medicaid eligibility; and
-submit the DDD Intake Application and be determined to meet the functional criteria for DDD eligibility (see Division Circular #3 or NJSA 30:6D-25(b) and NJAC 10:46).

In general, to receive Division-funded services, individuals must document that they have a chronic physical and/or mental impairment* that:

-manifests in the developmental years, before age 22;
-is lifelong; and
-substantially limits them in at least three of these life activities: self-care; learning; mobility; communication; self-direction; economic self-sufficiency; the ability to live independently

*Some conditions that might be considered a developmental disability include an intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, spina bifida, autism, or a neurological impairment.  


Application Process

You can begin the application process by completing the 
DDD Intake Application*, which is available in both English and Spanish:

DDD Intake Application - English

DDD Intake Application - Spanish
Completed forms should be mailed to the Community Services Office that serves the county in which you live. Please address the envelope to Division of Developmental Disabilities Intake.

*A family member or other interested person can assist an individual in completing an application for DDD eligibility, but cannot apply on the individual's behalf.

A parent or legal guardian of a minor or the legal guardian of an adjudicated incapacitated adult may apply for services on the individual's behalf (see Division Circular #3). 


Community Services Offices

If you have questions about whether or not you meet the criteria to be eligible for Division of Developmental Disabilities' services, you can contact the Community Services Office that serves the county in which you live.

Division intake staff will discuss your situation and guide you through the application process.


Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)

If you have questions or a complaint about your privacy rights related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), you can contact a HIPAA Privacy Officer.

There may be additional HIPAA forms which you have to submit. Once you speak with an Intake Worker any additional forms will be included in the packet forwarded to you. 

OPRA - Open Public Records Act NJ Home Logo
Department: DHS Home  |  DHS Services A to Z  |  Consumers & Clients - Individuals and Families  |  Important Resources  |  Divisions & Offices  |  Commissioner & Key Staff  |  Disaster & Emergency Help & Information  |  Press Releases, Public and Legislative Affairs, & Publications  |  Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices, Licensing, MedComms  |  Get Involved with DHS!
Statewide: NJHome  |  Services A to Z  |  Departments/Agencies  |  FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 - 2008