skip to main contentskip to main navigation
State of New Jersey Deapartment of Human Services title graphic  
Division of Developmental Disabilities
New Jersey Helps
NJ 211 Community Resource Website
New Jersey Housing Resource Center
New Jersey Mental Health Cares Hotline
NJ Family Care
New Jersey Lottery

Some residential options that may be offered to an individual include: 

  • Group homes – in which individuals share a home with no more than three other residents and receives services from staff that is on-site 24-hours a day.
  • Supervised apartments – in which an individual lives alone or with a roommate in an apartment that is leased or owned by a provider agency, which also employs staff that is available to serve the individual 24-hours a day.
  • Supportive Housing – in which an individual leases his or her own apartment and receives services on an as-needed basis either in person or through phone contact up to a total of 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Community Care Home – in which an individual lives as part of the family of a caretaker and receives assistance from that person and/or from an agency on a routine basis. 

At the time the need for a residential placement becomes necessary, a case manager can explore other possible options with the individual as well.

Contribution To Care

Individuals who move into a residential placement provided by DDD should be aware that they will be required to help contribute to the cost of their care. This legal obligation, referred to as the “contribution to care,” is outlined in NJAC 10:46D and can be found in the Division Circular 3A. This contribution helps the State cover the cost of shelter, food and other maintenance items.


This legal responsibility is shared by the family of individuals under the age of 18. Once individuals turn 18, only they are responsible.


An individual’s contribution to care begins to be assessed on the 31st day after he or she enters a residential placement.  

  • The contribution for a child under 18 will be based on the family’s financial situation and any unearned income the child receives. 
  • The contribution for individuals 18 and older will be based on his or her wages and/or unearned income. 
  • In all cases, a lien will be filed against the real and personal property of the individual who is entering a residential placement. 


Individuals and families may request an adjustment in their assessed Contributed to Care if they are able to show that their situation fits one or more of the eight (8) special circumstances. These are outlined in DDD’s Division Circular 3A “Contributions to Care and Maintenance Requirements.” To request consideration for a special circumstance or circumstances, individuals and/or families should complete the DDD Special Circumstances Form and return it to the address shown on the form.

Individuals with questions about contribution to care should contact their case manager or the fiscal officer in the DDD Community Services regional office that serves the county in which they live.

Fact Sheet about Contribution to Care for adults 

OPRA - Open Public Records Act NJ Home Logo
Department: DHS Home  |  DHS Services A to Z  |  Consumers & Clients - Individuals and Families  |  Important Resources  |  Divisions & Offices  |  Commissioner & Key Staff  |  Disaster & Emergency Help & Information  |  Press Releases, Public and Legislative Affairs, & Publications  |  Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices, Licensing, MedComms  |  Get Involved with DHS!
Statewide: NJHome  |  Services A to Z  |  Departments/Agencies  |  FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 - 2008