The Division of Mental Health Services funds approximately 90 percent of the cost of indigent inpatient care at six county psychiatric units or hospitals through its State Aid Program. The Division will utilize an estimated $144 million for FY 2011 in State Aid funding to support operations in the psychiatric facilities. Approximately 7,000 clients are served annually. The average daily census in the County hospitals was 735 in FY 2010, of which nearly 642 were billable to the State Aid Program.
The county hospitals are operated under the direction of the respective County Boards of Chosen Freeholders in the following counties:
- Bergen Regional Medical Center in Paramus, Bergen County
- Camden County Health Services Center in Blackwood, Camden County (856-374-6600)
- Essex County Hospital Center in Cedar Grove, Essex County
- Meadowview Hospital in Secaucus, Hudson County (201-319-3712)
- Runnells Hospital in Berkeley Heights, Union County (908-771-5700)